c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

3/7 - Highs and Lows - Unexpected CPR Feelings

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wednesday, March 07, 2007
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was an interesting day to say the least. My sweet wife and I,
and son #4 met up at PCMC to do our radio interview. They were
running a bit behind, but, we go on about 5 minutes to 11:00AM. I
don’t remember what I said to our interviewer Maria Shilaos, but
of course I fumbled over every word. (I did a lot better in the
play
. My sweet wife rocked, and so did son #4! I kept saying
‘great this, great that...’ and sounded dumb, but we had fun
anyway. Son #4 got a brown moose doll that was really cute. I told
him he should name it Maria Moose, so he could remember who
interviewed us, but she looked at me and raised an eyebrow but
didn’t say anything. (oops...) Then, when he got home, he named it
chocolate moose, but didn’t like that. Then, by himself, he named
it Marty Moose. Oh well, I wasn’t home to raise an eyebrow about
that one. They raised about a half a million dollars the last I
checked. Probably enough for all of son #4’s surgeries and doctors
visits. Amazing isn’t it. I put some pictures of us at the
radiothon on the website.


Maria (our interviewer) Marty (hiding) My sweet wife and son #4


Pulling the cover off of the microphone


Hamming it up!


I want to be a radio host


More of the same

But the day ended a little weird. For Scouts we went to the local
pool and had 11 boys work on their swimming merit badge. (9 of
them got it, including son #2!). But, one of the things they had
to do was CPR on a resusci-annie type doll. That brought back a
HUGE amount of feelings that I couldn’t contain and found my self
quietly weeping about my father. 30 years ago I went through the
exact same training as a Boy Scout, and I have been certified a
couple of times since then. But tonight I watched with very keen
interest, running through my mind every little detail to make sure
I did everything that I was supposed to do. When my dad died back
on Christmas day 2005, I had to do CPR on him. I remember every
minute detail. Trying to wake him up, checking his breathing,
checking for a pulse. A few breaths, check again. Still no pulse.
I remember the ribs cracking, just like the instructor said they
would. I remember waiting for what seemed like 3 weeks for the
ambulance to arrive. Everyone and everything says I did everything
exactly right, but there will always be that thing stuck in my
head saying, “maybe if...” I did get dad back to consciousness
before the ambulance arrived, and Dad and I even talked a little
on the way to the ER. But, he didn’t make it through the night
there.

Anyway, enough of that. It’s just weird how just a normal day,
doing normal things, can really bring back some really strong
feelings.

Ha. Now I gotta find some jokes for ya’ll. What a weird day.

Enjoy Today’s Jokes!
Marty

=-=-=-
Reader Comments;

Hey, I heard the three of you on the radio today. You all sounded
good, especially son #4. There are some cute pictures on KSL.com
of your visit, including one where you are in the background,
looking pretty bored. I thought it was funny. The radio people
really seemed to like son #4. They kept talking about him for
quite a while after your interview was over... mentioned him a
number of times. Talk to you later.
~Justin H.

Although they were late getting you guys on, you sounded great!!!
~Uncle Butter

<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>

TOP TEN REASONS TO VOTE FOR MITT ROMNEY:

10) The National Cathedral could be renamed the National
Tabernacle

9) NASA could commission a satellite to 'hie to Kolob'

8) The Secret Service could be renamed the Sacred Service

7) All official government prayers could include the phrase 'that
we all can get home safely'

6) Napoleon Dynamite could get someone other than Pedro elected

5) The President could not only explain things in Layman's terms,
but also Lemuel's terms

4) The President could issue pardons in exchange for 100% home
teaching.

3) Not only could he pronounce 'Nuclear' but also 'Mahonri
Moriancumer' and 'Maher Shalal Hash Baz'.

2) At his inauguration he would swear on the Bible 'as far as it
is translated correctly'

1) Finally a first family large enough to fill up the White House

~Debi S.

<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>

Rambling Thoughts:

Some folks are so eager to find fault, you'd think there's a
reward.

I only use deodorant under one arm, so I know what I would have
smelled like.

Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.

I wish my mouth had a backspace key.

Many great discoveries are made by not following instructions.

The older I get, the better I was.

A pessimist is someone who complains about the noise when
opportunity knocks.

What a tangled web parents weave, thinking children are naive.

Some rights are worth dying for. The right of way is not one of
them.

They call it a tax return . . as if the money you pay was going to
make a round trip.

There is nothing wrong with having nothing to say ... unless you
insist on saying it.
~Ruby C.

<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>

I dialed a wrong number and got the following recording: "I am not
available right now, but thank you for caring enough to call. I am
making some changes in my life. Please leave a message after the
beep. If I do not return your call, you are one of the changes."

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 1:21 AM, Blogger Kathy said…

    We were interviewed on our local San Diego country music station in February as part of St. Jude's annual Country Cares telethon. They also raised around half a million dollars.

    As for your reaction to the CPR demonstration, I think it's something related to post traumatic stress and I think all of us parents of kids with life-threatening illnesses have it to one degree or another.

    In a few month's time you lost your father and you came closer than anyone ever should to losing your son.

    The 11th anniversary of my niece's death from a brain tumor came and went last month, and even after more than ten years, something will trigger memories of the events surrounding that tragedy with such force it takes my breath away.

    And as for your CPR skills, if you get your father back to consciousness before the ambulance arrived, you must have done everything right. Your father would be proud.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home