c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

12/27 - Stretching my rubber band

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tuesday, December 27, 2005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We had a wonderful Christmas. It seemed like an extra special
Christmas for us with an unseemly amount of ‘stuff’ being passed
out. That was in the morning.

That night, after a wonderful Christmas dinner of Turkey and
trimmings, my dad, who was down to see my boys, complained of some
back pain. To make a long story short, they think he had an aortic
aneurysm
. He died in the ER about 8:00 PM Christmas night. He ate
a great dinner on this side, and had a wonderful dessert with his
family on the other side.

Sometimes you wonder how much a family can take. Please don’t
worry and fret about us. We’re coping. I will testify to each one
of you that the Lord will not give us any more than we are able to
handle.

My column will be hit and miss for the next while, but writing is
therapeutic for me. I’ll be back.

Marty

8 Comments:

  • At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Marty:
    I've been reading your e-mails since you started a while back and have come to "know" you and your family. My deepest simpathies go out to you and your family. Your dad did have the best Christmas in the world first (with you) and then with his other family on the other side of the veil.
    Jose Zamarripa, Uvalde Texas

     
  • At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    God is with you and your family, may He make His presence abudnantly known to all of you during this season. God Bless You. Thank you for sharing yourself and your family with the rest of us.
    Brian C., Virginia Beach, VA

     
  • At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Marty, I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. Once the first tearing pain has gone, you will have the memory of a last enjoyable Christmas Day with him. Thinking of you & your family at this difficult time. Ruth

     
  • At 12:53 AM, Blogger Kathy said…

    My grandfather died of an aortic aneurysm when I was 11. I was packing for Girl Scout camp and it happened on a Sunday morning after church. Despite the fact that it was over 30 years ago, I remember it like it was yesterday.

    Our family was devastated. He seemed in good health, we had no idea this was coming.

    In retrospect, many years later, I think for him it was a blessing, he passed peacefully into the arms of our Father.

    My prayers are with your family.

     
  • At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Marty,
    Oh, I am so, so very sorry--

    I don't even know what to say, I'm just so sorry.

    I'm glad for you all that you had a wonderful dinner together, and a happy Christmas--
    may God give you peace and grace--
    peace,

     
  • At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Marty and Family:

    My deepest condolences. The pain of my father's death (and of how I missed his last Christmas) still lingers. But it is less painful. How fortunate that your last memories of him are so joyful. Little Jimmy has a guardian angel to watch over him.

    My best wishes to you all for the New Year.

    Kathleen
    London, Ontario Canada

     
  • At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My prayers are with you and your family. My father died suddenly on Christmas Eve 10 years ago. While the pain has dulled, I am finally remembering the good years and all the good things I learned from him. God be with you.

    Candace Elmore
    Marshall, IL

     
  • At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Marty,
    My husband gets your joke of the day and I have been keeping up with all that is going on in the life of your family. Eight years ago my mom went home to be with her Lord on Christmas Day at 8am. We had a wonderful Christmas Eve and our kids got to see grandma and have so much fun with her.

    When my dad and I went in to get my mom ready for Christmas morning (she was a quadraplegic) she wasn't doing well and we were with her when she took her last breath. It was an amazing moment.

    Christmas now is more about the wonderful memories of mom and grandma. It does get easier as time goes on, but there are still moments that I miss her so very much.

    My prayers are with you and your family. May the peace and comfort of the Lord be with you now and in the coming months.

    Highland, CA

     

Post a Comment

<< Home