c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

1/26 - @#^%#@!#

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thursday, January 26, 2006
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’ve been told that my house isn’t pink, but more of a terra cotta
color. Yeah, right. So, if you ever get a killer deal on paint, but
the color is just a little off, go for the more expensive regular
stuff. A little off color on a house can really change the look of
your house!

Anyway, when I got to work today, my sweet wife called and said,
“Oh, I was reading your Joke of the day today, and I can tell you
what ‘bad family words’ are.” I listened intently while she
continued, “Those are words that other kids don’t think are that
bad, but our family thinks are bad. Words like ‘what the...’ (then
insert ANY word)”, ‘stupid head’, ’crap’, and especially ‘holy
crap’” [Man, I just hate that phrase!]



I’ve had several talks with my boys about profanity, the use of
language, and how to express themselves properly. I guess I hold my
boys to a higher standard than most people. One night I even let
loose with a 10 minute missive to the Scout troop when a pair of
brothers literally could not stop using the phrase ‘holy crap’ every
30 seconds. I finally told them I was tired of hearing the phrase,
and why. We sat down looked at each word and what they meant
individually. Then put them together and showed how one word
affected the other word. I think they got to point, but you never
know.

Maybe I should have been an English teacher. (HA! With my creative
spelling!)

For those of you who get this as email...
Enjoy today’s Jokes!
Marty

=-=-=-
Reader Comment Section:

Hello Marty:
You said in your issue:
>I was impressed that even at this early age, they try to teach
>these little kids brail,

This is really cool to hear! A lot of schools in the mainstream
won't teach Braille if a child has any sort of vision that could be
used to read print with adaptive technology help. So it's neat that
your son, whether he will use Braille in the future or not, is at
least getting exposed to it. I am totally blind and was
mainstreamed completely from kindergarten on. It was a wonderful
experience so I am glad that is the plan for your son. And as for
teaching things early to preschool kids who have a disability,
that's sure the truth. They did that with my second daughter in her
first two years of preschool and it's paying off because she's now
in first grade and the most high functioning of the kids in her
mentally challenged self contained room. WE're hoping to mainstream
her one day too. Tell your sweet wife to enjoy her child free days.
Don't worry, she'll get used to them. I love mine, but am so happy
to see my two when they come home!*smiling*
~Shannon in Nevada

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home