c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

12/15 - Happy-Merry RamaHanuKwanzMas

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thursday, December 15, 2005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy-Merry RamaHanuKwanzMas!

I remember back when I was in 6th grade I was in the Swing Choir.
It was kind of a jazzed up concert choir. We got to sing all of
the ‘cool’ songs. I remember one song we sang was Barry Manilow’s
Copacabana. That was my favorite. And, I remember the Christmas
concerts we did too. We sang real live traditional Christmas
stuff.


Son #2 borrowed son #4's Cool
New hat for the concert


Fast forward (a long ways) to today. I left early from work to go
see son #2’s “Celebration around the world concert.” They sang
celebration songs from Ireland, China, Saudi Arabia, Africa,
Israel, Barbados and finally Christmas songs from the United
States. I’m wondering, don’t elementary schools do just a plane
old Christmas concert? I guess I could jump into a tirade about
political correctness, but that’s not what we’re here for. Don’t
get me wrong, Son #2 did a wonderful job singing a solo about
Kenya’s Jamhuri day, and did a great limbo dance move
(pics on the blog site). But, I still miss the good old Rudolph
and Frosty songs of my childhood.


How Low can you go?

For those of you who get this as email...
Enjoy today’s Jokes!
Marty

=-=-=-

Reader Comment Section:

I sent messages to yahoo expressing my displeasure at loosing my
wake up joke Emails. No response from them but it made me feel
better
~Wanda D.

[and a couple of comments from Monday I failed to add]

Did you watch the PICC-line removal? I was present (and
restraining her) when Paige got hers out. I couldn't watch. I did
glance at it in the garbage can, but that was the closest I got.
Nasty, nasty and amazing thing.
~Douglas S.

[Considering I made the dentist give me a mirror so I could watch
them remove all 4 of my wisdom teeth, I think it would have been
cool to watch. But, I was at work...]

Marty,
I think your blog ate my comment. I tried to say yesterday a
THANKS for letting me know about Songs of Love...Genna's came on
Monday, after a hideously long clinic day. I cried reading the
lyrics...silly, but true. When Genna heard it, she got all big
eyed, covered her mouth and said, "Do we get to keep it?" I figure
since there's no huge market for songs about Genna Camiolo who
loves Zoom, muenster cheese, pizza with Grandma, and Hello Kitty,
she could probably keep it... so thanks--I only applied for it
because of how you wrote about [son #4’s] enthusiasm for his. And
now my 3 year old goes around the house singing "Gen-na Camiolo,
Gen-na Camiolo" over and over.
peace,
~Kristin

[It really is a cool thing they do. Glad you could get one!]

1 Comments:

  • At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No, Marty, Christmas programs are no more. I can remember how thrilled I was when I first heard "O Holy Night" sung at my elementary school concert.

    I have attended programs at the school of one of my friend's children. When her son was in 6th grade, there was a selection of music, including (at her insistence, since they were Jewish) something for Hanukkah. Okay. A mere two years later, when her daughter was in 6th grade, the program featured music for Hanukkah, I think something for another religion, some secular music, and NOT ONE CAROL. It is one thing to give equal time to other faiths, it's another to ignore the reason there is Christmas in the first place.

    This carries over into the workplace, where, with a multi-ethnic staff, we have a "holiday party," and to the doctor's office, which has dreidels, snowflakes, and Santa, but nothing relating to Christ.

    I persist in wearing my "Jesus is the reason for the season" pin when I go shopping.

    MERRY CHRISTMAS!

    Marianne Rankin
    JOTD reader

     

Post a Comment

<< Home