c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Monday, December 19, 2005

12/19 - Lights - Play - Phone'n'Shirt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Monday, December 19, 2005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It’s been quite another busy weekend for us. On Saturday we took
the train downtown to see the Christmas lights. We ate at some
cheesy Chinese place in the mall the stopped at the dollar store
for munchies. We didn’t have any schedule, so it was pretty
relaxing. The lights were really good, and we got some great
pictures.

Then on Sunday we got the notice on The Sound of Music play we
tried out for last week. Son #2 is going to be 11-year-old ‘Kurt’,
my sweet wife is going to be a Nun, and I’m Heir Zeller. I’ve got
to admit that I’ve only seen the movie once. And I probably fell
asleep during it. Someone said Heir Zeller is a mean guy part. We
borrowed the DVD from the in-laws, but I haven’t made time to
watch it. Can anyone tell me who I am? Play practice starts in
January, and the play is in May(?). I’m sure you’ll hear more
about it as the weeks go on.

Have you been seeing all of the ads lately for Vonage phone
service? Well, I signed up today. It was pretty easy, but we have
to wait about 3 weeks for all of the paperwork and phone numbers
to change. Vonage is a service where you disconnect your local
phone service, and hook up your phone through your high speed
internet connection. It’s called VoIP (Voice over IP). You get
voice mail, caller ID, free long distance, all the extra stuff the
phone company charges for, and then it’s either $15/mo or $25/mo
(500 outgoing minutes vs. unlimited minutes) We started with the
cheaper plan. I’ll let you know how this one goes too.

Then today we got a great card and some gifts in the post office
box from Susan A. in Chesterton Indiana. (That’s about 45 miles
from Chicago) She said she couldn’t find a hat for son #4, but
sent a cool Chicago White Sox t-shirt. I assume it’s a Sox shirt,
because I’m sure no one sells Chicago Cubs stuff! (Yeah, like I
see a lot of people wearing Utah Jazz shirts this year. Yuk yuk).
Anyway, Thanks Susan!

And tomorrow I’m going in before work for my yearly physical.
(Part One) Tomorrow is the blood tests. I was supposed to go in
August, but we had some other hospital visits that were a tad bit
more important. They said I have to go in fasting. It’s not that I
munch out after 8PM, but it’s just the thought of not being able
to when I want, that bugs me. (I got a call from the office on
my cell phone today. “Come in fasting. Don’t eat or drink anything
at all after 8PM. Except water.” So, water’s not anything?)
Anyway, I wanted to take in son #4 so he could see someone else
get poked for a change. He says he wants to wear his scrubs.

For those of you who get this as email...
Enjoy today’s Jokes!
Marty

=-=-=-
Reader Comment Section:

No, Marty, Christmas programs are no more. I can remember how
thrilled I was when I first heard "O Holy Night" sung at my
elementary school concert. I have attended programs at the school
of one of my friend's children. When her son was in 6th grade,
there was a selection of music, including (at her insistence,
since they were Jewish) something for Hanukkah. Okay. A mere two
years later, when her daughter was in 6th grade, the program
featured music for Hanukkah, I think something for another
religion, some secular music, and NOT ONE CAROL. It is one thing
to give equal time to other faiths, it's another to ignore the
reason there is Christmas in the first place. This carries over
into the workplace, where, with a multi-ethnic staff, we have a
"holiday party," and to the doctor's office, which has dreidels,
snowflakes, and Santa, but nothing relating to Christ. I persist
in wearing my "Jesus is the reason for the season" pin when I go
shopping.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
~Marianne R

[And a Happy New Year!]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home