c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

10/18 - I got some good news, and some bad news...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wednesday, October 18, 2006
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As my sweet wife and I walked into the hospital cafeteria this
morning, they were closed. It was after 10AM, and before 11AM. I
guess they do prep work for lunch during that hour. There was a
shop next door with cold sandwiches, so my sweet wife and I split
one for breakfast. Son #4 has to be NPO for his MRIs.
so we don’t eat breakfast in front of him, and wait
until he’s asleep to eat. Anyway, when we started our sandwich, I
said, “I hate this place.” She said, “What, the cafeteria?” “No,”
I said. “I hate this whole hospital thing.” “I know what you mean”
She said. I hate the whole process. I hate the IV team we have to
call, the “poke” son #4 has to get, the 2 hours waiting for them
to do the MRI and the waiting for him to wake up. The HIPAA game
they have to play. [I “jokingly” asked one of the techs if she saw
any big fat tumors on son #4’s scan. She curtly said, “I can’t
legally talk to you about your son’s MRI scan.” Yeah, I know. I
have to wait for our oncology appointment tomorrow.] I hate
waiting for the results. I hate having to ask for time off at
work, I hate that I’m so familiar with that hospital.

I saw Dr. H, who I will never, ever, ever forget. He was the doc
who was sitting at the computer on Saturday, August 13th, 2005.
I saw the tumor on the computer screen before he knew I walked into
the room. He introduced himself then said, “um, and we have a
problem”. Yeah, no doubt doc. I would hate to be the doctor who
had to break the news to parents that their kid had a brain tumor.
Anyway, Dr. H. was the radiologist this morning. I asked him if he
would check the scans to see if there was any tumor growing. He
said sure, and said, “Everything looks stable”. So, today we got
another round of clean scans. Tomorrow son #4 has an oncology
appointment, and a lumbar puncture. (To see if there is any cancer
cells in the spinal fluid.) They have to put him to sleep for that
too.

It’s so far so good. We get to sleep tonight. Maybe.

When I got home I read an email from one of son #4’s “forever
tumor friends”. Katie went through 6 weeks of radiation about the
same time son #4 did last year. We got to know her and her family
pretty good. (There’s a picture of the three tumor friends here;
Her email this afternoon had some bad news;

=-=-=-
Hello family and friends, We have a bit of bad new to share.
The beginning of this month we found out that Katie's tumor
has regrowth for the third time. It is in a different
location then the original site and from the last growth.
This time it is located at the back of the brain near the
cerebral cortex. Not in a place where we can operate with out
complications to Katie's way of life. The doctors recommend
Radiation Therapy again. However they do not see this as a
cure and are uncertain that they will be able to cure her.
They have told us that with radiation we can buy ourselves a
year with her. They are taking into consideration the quality
of life when planning these next steps of treatment.
We really do need to pray for a miracle. My family will be
holding a special fast this Sunday October 22nd 2006 for our
little Katie. We would like to invite you and those that
would like to join us in praying and fasting for two
consecutive meals on this coming Sunday. It is our practice
in our faith to contribute a fast offering to our church
for the price of those two meals that we would be spending if
we where eating. If you choose you may donate this moneys to
your church while you join us in fasting. Please do not send
it to us as it is the Lords. I sincerely appreciate you
support and your many prayers in our behalf and in behalf of
our little Katrina. I pray that you and your families will be
blessed as you participate with us. If you wish to send a
card please send it to [Email me for her post office and
email addresses –Marty] Thank you, Love the B..., Chris,
Kristy, Katie, and Gigi
=-=-=-

This hits really close to home. It’s a little hard to celebrate
that we get clean scans and can breath again for 3 or 4 months,
when son #4’s little friend isn’t as lucky.

Sometimes life is really hard.

Enjoy today’s Jokes!
Marty

=-=-=-
Reader Comments

Marty and family,
Prayers are with you today and tomorrow. Wish more could be
done from Ohio for you all. Marty, if the pic you had in your blog
spot was the maze you and the boys went through, good job getting
out. Wow. We have a local farm we like to use for going pumpkin
hunting, they take you out on a hay ride to get there, and you can
go through the corn field maze too, while out there, if you want.
With a little one, we haven't done it for a while, but he's 6 now,
and this may be the year he gets to do it... Anyway, hope today
went well for all, and that tomorrow does too.
Jen B., Morrow, Ohio

[Thanks Jen. No, I think that picture was actually was last year’s
field of another maze just down the street. But, the maze we went
to this year was the same size. It took almost an hour to walk
through it.]

_________________________________________________________
¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

There was no way we were giving up the stray kitten who adopted
us. We called her Princess. When we took her to the animal
hospital to get her checked out, the vet had news: she was
actually a He. "So what's the new name going to be," he asked,
"The Cat Formerly Known as Princess?"

<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>

I learned a lesson in marketing from a man who bought an old boat,
a trailer and a motor from me. "Thanks," he said as he loaded them
up. "I'm planning to resell them." Good luck, I thought. I had
been trying to get rid of them for months. But when I ran into him
a few weeks later, he'd sold everything. "How did you manage
that?" I marveled. "I took out an ad: 'Heavy-duty boat trailer
with free boat.' When the buyer came to get it, I asked if he had
a motor. He said no. I told him I happened to have one in my
garage. Bought that, too."

_________________________________________________________
¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

WORLD'S EASIEST QUIZ
(Passing requires 4 correct answers)

1) How long did the Hundred Years' War last?

2) Which country makes Panama hats?

3) From which animal do we get cat gut?

4) In which month do Russians celebrate the October Revolution?

5) What is a camel's hair brush made of?

6) The Canary Islands in the Pacific are named after what animal?

7) What was King George VI's first name?

8) What color is a purple finch?

9) Where are Chinese gooseberries from?

10) What is the color of the black box in a commercial airplane?

Remember, you need 4 correct answers to pass ..... Check your answers below.

ANSWERS TO THE QUIZ

1) How long did the Hundred Years War last?
116 years

2) Which country makes Panama hats?
Ecuador

3) From which animal do we get cat gut?
Sheep and Horses

4) In which month do Russians celebrate the October
Revolution?
November

5) What is a camel's hair brush made of?
Squirrel fur

6) The Canary Islands in the Pacific are named after what animal?
Dogs

7) What was King George VI's first name?
Albert

8) What color is a purple finch?
Crimson

9) Where are Chinese gooseberries from?
New Zealand

10) What is the color of the black box in a commercial airplane?
Orange of course

~Wanda D.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:17 PM, Blogger Kathy said…

    At St. Jude we usually get our MRI results right away, but it never ceases to be a stressful thing, taking a look inside his head.

    Of the four families we shared our kitchen with at Ronald McDonald House during Steven's radiation, two of those kids, both boys with brain tumors, died during the next year.

    The road is not easy.

    I'm very happy to hear that Jimmy's scans look clear.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home