c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Monday, October 16, 2006

10/16 - Rambling Thoughts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Monday, October 16, 2006
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I took the train again today and just before I got on, I called my
sweet wife and told her I was on my way home. As I was standing
there in the cold rain she asked, “Are you writing tonight’s JOTD
issue?” I said, “No, why?” She said, because you’ve now got an
extra 30 minutes every time you ride the train, you should be able
to do something good with your time. Hmm... thought I, so I do.
Today is my first attempt at writing on the train.

There is a very Old Italian man sitting next to me asking if I am
going to get on the internet with that ‘thing’. (With his accent,
I think that’s what he said anyway). I told him there wasn’t any
signal on the train, and he smiled. Now he’s talking Spanish with
my seat mates, and I’m not exactly sure what they’re saying. But,
they sure sound like they’re having a good time! Since I moved
from desktop support to being a PACS administrator at work, I have
to get a new cell phone. (Mostly because I have to give my other
one up to the new guy) Consequently, they’ve also changed the cell
phone policy; I have to buy my own service, and they will
reimburse me for a set amount each month. I’m going to add my
sweet wife on my plan, but son #1 has been asking to get a cell
phone for at least a year. And, at only $10 a month, I think we
may break down and get one for him. (to share with his brothers
too.) But, I’m not exactly sure if the benefits outweigh the
risks. They do have a pretty cool chaperone feature, where if the
cell phone goes out of a certain area, the service will call you
and tell you what time the phone went out of the area. But, I’m
sure that costs extra.

The weekend Scout campout and hike went pretty well. I thought
that I was going to have a tough time keeping up with just about
everyone, but most of the young 12 and 13 year old scouts, who
haven’t backpacked that much, and who love to play video games
sitting on their behinds at home, were having problems keeping up
with even me. (Of course, I only had to take a day pack.) So, the
hike up the mountain was actually, dare I say, actually enjoyable.
I brought the good ol’ reliable GPS unit with me, so we could see
how far and how high we had hiked. We left the parking lot of
Brighton ski resort at about 8650 feet, and ate lunch up on the
mountain at just under 10,000 feet. Funny, water boils a little
faster up on the mountain than it does down in the valley. But, we
still had good warm soup for lunch.

I asked the boys last night what they wanted to do for family
night tonight. They said they wanted to watch a movie. We haven’t
done a ‘fun’ family night for a little while, so I said that would
be ok. We’re going to watch one of those LDS comedy movies called,
“Church Ball”. I’m not sure it’s going to win an Oscar... ok, I
know it’s not going to win an Oscar, but it might be fun to watch
anyway. I’ll let you know tomorrow what I think of it.

Well, that was a pretty good use of my 30 minutes of train time.
This may not be a bad idea after all.

Enjoy today’s Jokes!
Marty

=-=-=-
Reader Comments

I would have to disagree with the answer to #3 (frost on the
windows). I have lived in Colorado and in Kentucky (2 states where
the frost is on different sides of the window (for the most
part)). I have noticed that the frost forms on the side that has
the highest humidity content.
Jason in Colorado

If you go to the web site www.letssaythanks.com you can pick out
a thank you card and Xerox will print it and it will be sent to a
soldier that is currently serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. You
can't pick out who gets it, but it will go to some member of the
armed services. It is FREE and it only takes a second. Wouldn't
it be wonderful if the soldiers received a bunch of these?
~Justin’s Favorite Sister of all time ever and ever...

_________________________________________________________
¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

[No Joke, and I even snopes’d this, and it’s true.]

I had a wonderful morning, the heating unit went out on my dryer!
Why does everything seem to fall apart this time of year!??? The
guy that fixes things went in to the dryer pulled out the lint
filter. It was clean. We always clean the lint from the filter
after every load of clothes. He told us that he wanted to show us
something. He took the filter over to the sink, ran hot water over
it. Now, the lint filter is made of a mesh material - I'm sure
you know what your dryer's lint filter looks like. WELL.....the
hot water just sat on top of the mesh!!! It didn't go through it
at all!!! He told us that dryer sheets cause a film over that mesh
that's what burns out the heating unit. You can't SEE the film,
but it's there. This is also what causes dryer units to catch
fire potentially burn your house down with it! He said the best
way to keep your dryer working for a very long time & to keep your
electric bill lower is to take that filter out & wash it with hot
soapy water & an old toothbrush (or other brush) at least every
six months. He said that makes the life of the dryer at least
twice as long! How about that???!!!! Learn something new
everyday! I certainly didn't know dryer sheets would do that. So,
I thought I'd share!

NOTE: I went to my dryer & tested my screen by running water on
it. The water ran thru a little bit but mostly collected all the
water in the mesh screen. I washed it with warm soapy water & a
nylon brush & I had it done in 30 seconds. Then when I rinsed it
the water ran right thru the screen! There wasn't any puddle of
water at all! That repairman knew what he was talking about!

PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO OTHER PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK. NOT
ONLY COULD IT SAVE SOMEONE'S HOME, BUT IT COULD SAVE SOMEONE'S
LIFE.
~#1 Mom

<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>

Growing up as a kid, I learned all about capitalism through the
board game Monopoly. I mean, what better way to teach a young mind
the way our economy functions. I loved this game and still do.
Only now, as an adult I have some questions that remain
unanswered. For instance, if I have all this money and own all
this real estate...why am I still driving around in a thimble?

_________________________________________________________
¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

A group of tourists were watching the re-enactment of an ancient
Egyptian religious ritual. One turned to a nearby local, pointed
to the statue that was being praised and asked, "Pardon me, but
what was the name of that god supposed to be?" "Why do you ask?"
the man replied. The tourist shrugged. "Just idol curiosity, I
guess."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home