c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

2/16 - Cruel to be kind

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thursday, February 16, 2006
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today was son #4’s day to go swimming with his visually impaired
pre-school class. He was really excited to go. They must have
played really hard, because when the bus pulled up to drop off son
#4, each and every kid was fast asleep.

But, things got back to normal at dinner time. “Son #4, what did
you do at school today?” I said, well knowing what he did. “I
don’t know dad...” Funny, that’s the same answer I get from every
boy in this house. It must be a male thing. So, we usually ask
what they ate for lunch, and that gets the ball rolling.

Have a great weekend!
For those of you who get this as email...
Enjoy today’s Jokes!
Marty

=-=-=-
Reader Comment Section:

Talk about innumeracy (illiterate with numbers) I stopped by a
drive up restaurant where the waiter came out on roller skates,
and takes my order. My order came to $1.98, I handed the waiter a
$20 bill, and his eyes glazed over! The 2 pennies was the easy
part, he clicked them off the changer on his belt, but when he
went into his pocket for change, he produced a wad of bills, all
jumbled together. After fumbling for about a minute, he handed me
28 one dollar bills, and then waited for my reaction to determine
if he was correct. I however have a moral obligation against
taking advantage of simple minds, so I gave back the $10. I then
went on to add fries to my order, and he looked devastated! He
ended up giving me the fries, because he didn’t want to count out
change again! I guess the most important requirement was that he
could skate!
~Kenny M.

Marty,
I think what you did to the poor girl at the theater with the $20
and $2 was out right cruel. I used to work in fast food as a
teenager and we had people come in all the time trying to scam the
cashiers into giving them back the incorrect change doing just
what you did. This would always happen at peak times and we were
told not to handle money exchanges like you did just because of
that! Not everyone is as quick at math as you are and when you
are trying to give fast service and someone tries what you did it
throws the cashier off. What you did was uncommon, but please
don't act like the cashier was dumb, she may have never been
handed payment like that before.
Donna P.

[Oh?... “out right cruel?”... Anyone care to comment on Donna’s
comments?]

1 Comments:

  • At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What you did reminded me of when I worked as a cashier many years ago. A quick-change artist tried to pull a fast one on me, using a tactic similar to your joke. Luckily for me, my boss pulled my cash drawer and knew what happened. I'm sure you can find enough genuine cashier mistakes nowadays that you don't even need to play jokes on anyone.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home