c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Monday, June 06, 2005

I'm looking over, my dead dog rover, that I over ran with the Mower...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Monday, June 06, 2005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, it’s not May 9th again. I bought a calendar. Our ‘Grand’ four
and a half month old puppy Buddy got home from the Vet on Friday.
He seemed a little sore, but that’s to be expected. Not only did we
get his leg fixed, but we got all of his shots, and got him ‘fixed’
at the same time. Talk about adding insult to injury.

It’s interesting; I guess they didn’t put him all the way under for
his surgery. They gave him an epidural. So his whole left leg is
shaved, and he’s got a 3 inch square patch on his back that’s
shaved too. Buddy got the works; he got pins, rods, and screws in
his leg. Plus he’s got some hardware on his inside left leg that’s
taped up.

He’s walking on his leg a little, but very tenderly. Now giving him
anti-inflammatory and pain killing meds is ok, but the vet’s
instructions won’t be as easy. He’s to stay dry, he can’t run,
can’t go up/down stairs, and must remain calm. For FOUR WEEKS!
Yeah, right. With four little boys that’s not going to be easy.
They said we could get tranquilizers. I’m wondering if they’re for
the dog or for us?

Enjoy today’s Jokes!
Marty

p.s. Had a great time at the annual church campout on Friday night
near one of the ski resorts. Gobs of snow up at the top, but not
much where we were. We saw a pretty good sized moose walk through
our camp.

Then on Saturday, I took my sweet wife to a comedy play. “Legally
Brunette”. Pretty funny. All in all, good weekend!

How about you?


=-=-=-
Reader Comment Section:

Have the vet amputate the leg. In 3 months Buddy will never know
the difference.
Norman O.

[Hmm...] grin

I just had to tell you that I think it's wonderful that you chose
the expensive option. Two years ago my husband and I adopted a dog
(Annie) for $70 from a local shelter. The shelter told us she had a
limp because of an infected toenail… …Of course then we found out
she had a dislocated hip that the shelter had missed and that's why
she limped. In that first week we spent over $200.00 for the vet to
try to put the hip back into place but that didn't work. We were
told she would need hip surgery or we could put her down. I'd only
known her for less than a week and I knew putting her down was NOT
an option. Here's the problem though, the hip surgery was going to
be $2000.00. Yes, that's right - TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS… … I called
the shelter to see if they could recommend a vet that might help us
some on the cost and the Lord sent a miracle. After waiting for
them to call back the shelter said that they would pay for the
surgery because they had let us adopt her in that condition and
that we just needed to bring Annie to their vet. She had major hip
surgery but now two years later she rarely limps. It's hard when
you're faced with having to pay for something like that but I can
definitely see that pets are worth it. Best of luck and I'll say
prayers for your puppy!
Brandy

[Thanks!]

When I read abut your puppy's injury, I said "Ouch!" Oh boy, do I
ever know about surgery, screws and rods. I have them (big time) in
my back and I know what that dog is going to go through during
cold, rainy weather!! Maybe Buddy is young enough to get through
it with flying colors! Hope so! Maybe your puppy's injury and
having to put the pool off 'til a later date is a 'blessing in
disguise' -- Not because son #4 likes to swim naked, but b/c he
might decide to swim when no one is around OR knows he's in the
pool!! …When you do get a pool, I wish for you many sunny, warm
days to have fun with your family. Until then, good luck with the
care of Buddy, son # 5? :-)
Have a beautiful day -- Cathy M.

[The boys ‘pooled’ their money, and are paying for over half of it
now, so I picked it up today. Loads of yard work for family night
tonight. But, not I’ve got to find 6 foot fencing so #4 doesn’t go
swimming alone. The joys of having boys...]


I thought Buddy was a member of your family! You work for a Health
Care provider and don't they have a good plan for employees and
members of their "families"? Also, if they give you difficulty,
aren't you their programmer and you could fix it couldn't you?
(haha just kidding)
LaMonte

[If only I had gotten doggie insurance for a couple of months. I’m
sure it would have been cheaper!]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home