c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

8/9 - Can you Prophet digging dirt?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wednesday, August 09, 2006
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In ancient times, God spoke to his Prophets. In the Old Testament
there were Prophets like Isaiah and Daniel. Most Christians and
Jews believe this. In the New Testament there were Prophets and
Apostles like Peter, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Most
Christians believe this. Let me take you just one itty bitty step
further. Our Church believes in living, modern day Prophets and
Apostles. If God needed to speak to his people back then, then why
not now? Especially now...

But, rather than get into a huge theological discussion about
Prophets, (I know what I believe, I just don’t teach it too
well...) suffice it to say that we believe in a modern day
Prophet.

Our Prophet is Gordon B. Hinckley. He’s somewhat of a charming
and spry fellow, and an extremely hard worker. At 96 years old, he
still travels the world and does God’s work. He’s an amazing man.

Anyway, back to today’s issue;

On Saturday there was a temple ground breaking ceremony in the
Salt Lake Valley. Our family went and watched via video link up in
one of the nearby chapels. When the 96 year old Prophet and his
two councilors (ages 78 and 86) got up to shovel the ceremonial
ground breaking dirt, they all got a shovel full of dirt and
turned it over. But, our prophet got another. Then yet another.
Then he started digging a hole and making a pile next to it. He
dug 7 or 8 shovels full.

Because he’s such a go getter and at 96, people thought it kind of
funny to see him digging a hole, and there were a few chuckles
around the chapel. Son #4 said to me, “Dad, why is everyone
laughing?” I said, “Because the Prophet is digging a LOT of dirt.
He must really want to get this temple built.” He said, “Oh” and
went on watching.

After the meeting, we decided to go to where the actual ground
breaking ceremony was. When we got there the shovels were still
in the dirt, and people were taking pictures of themselves. I told
the boys, “Everyone can get a shovel and turn one shovel of dirt.”
So we all did, and stuck our shovels back in the dirt. But, son #4
kept digging. He dug 3 or 4 shovels full. There were a lot of
people around, so I said nervously, “C’mon son #4. Let someone
else have a turn.” He looked up at me and said, “But I want to dig
like a Prophet!”

So I let him.

Enjoy today’s Jokes!
Marty

p.s. We ended up with a little bag of ground breaking dirt. If
anyone wants just a wee bit, let me know and I’ll mail you a some.

=-=-=-
Reader Comment sections

Ahhhhh contrare' mi amigo, I miss your issues every time, but
figure you had a good reason not to send one out. And what better
reason than "family night".. this world would be a better place if
more families took at least one night out a week and spent it with
their families.. kudos to you.
debi s.

[thanks]

Phase 10, Phase 10... sniff. I'm now a Phase 10 widow. Tell your
sweet wife to enjoy the game, cause if you don't you'll end up
like me at all the parties. Hey speaking of activities with the
family, I once became a geo-caching widow thanks to MJOTD. Have
you been doing any geo-caching? My husband takes the kids and
neighborhood teens and everyone really enjoys it. -Anita in
Saratoga Springs.

[Ever since I suffered that grade III double ankle sprain while
Geocaching in St. George
during the summer of 2003
I haven’t done too much caching. But, I’m starting to get
the itch again. I started to look at new GPS’s with mapping
software a few weeks ago. I guess I’m just a gadget guy at
heart!]

_________________________________________________________
¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

As the lone female in our house, I find that certain male habits
have really begun to get on my nerves. One day, I emerged from the
bathroom completely exasperated when I bumped into my husband.
"What is it with guys that they won't replace the toilet paper?!"
I raged. "I know," he said, nodding in agreement. "I noticed
that when I was in there earlier."

[And...??? I don’t get this joke...]

<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>


"Do you know what week this is in our public schools? I'm not
making this up: this week is "national no name calling week". They
don't want any name calling in public schools. What stupid dork
came up with this idea?" --Jay Leno

_________________________________________________________
¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Using a new painting program on my computer, I managed to come up
with a very credible still life of fruit. I made a color printout
and sent it to my daughter, a graphic designer. She called when it
arrived. "Isn't it good?" I asked. She chuckled, and in a tone
that echoed mine from years ago, replied, "Mom, it's beautiful. We
put it on the refrigerator."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home