c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

7/27 - Land Ho! He's back!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thursday, July 27, 2006
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, at least I have a plausible excuse for not doing a JOTD issue
last night. I had to travel to Richfield again to support my 4
clinics in central Utah. I decided since last month I took my
sweet wife, and since the boys could only go during the summer,
and since son #1 is in Jackson Hole running the river with his
Scout group, I’d take son #2 with me. He said he had a great time.
(He should have, I fed him enough!) He also begged me to go see
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest at the Reel
Theater in downtown Richfield.

So we did. Richfield is a town of about 7000 people, and it’s
pretty much in the middle of no where. The people are way cool,
but you have to drive for awhile to get there... Anyway, the
theater was the only one for miles around. It had a smaller screen
than most theaters I’ve been in, but what was really cool was
where you paid. It looked like it was built in the 60’s and was
just a little counter and window. It was kind of a homey type
theater. And the price was right too. For a regular, non-matinee
show (8PM), it was only $5.50 for me and $3.50 for son #2. Such a
deal.

But, if you’ve seen the movie, email me. I liked it; it was
adventuresome, loads of action, and pretty good story line, but, I
couldn’t understand about 30% of what was said. I don’t know if it
was the sound at the theater or the movie itself. Some of the
characters were hard to lip read too. (Like the octopus head
guy...) But, I guess that’s what the DVD and closed caption is for
right? It’s probably a conspiracy to get you to buy the DVD.

And, I’ve heard that this movie is ripe for a sequel. Only I don’t
believe it. Jack Sparrow dies at the end. And there’s no way he
can get out of THAT predicament, right?

Have a great weekend!

Enjoy today’s Jokes!
Marty

p.s.
The lady at the Rubber Ducky Derby emailed me and said “Thanks!”
for all of you who are buying rubber duckies for the derby next
month.

Remember, if you win the car, my family gets a ride!!


=-=-=-
Reader Comment sections


_________________________________________________________
¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

I was shopping with my roommate, and I saw a humorous button that
said, "It might look like I'm doing nothing, but on a cellular
level, I'm quite busy." I showed it to her, and her response was,
"Oh, I should buy that one, I'm always talking on mine."


<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>


An elderly gentleman was reading his recovery-room record at the
hospital where I work. He looked quite concerned at one
notation. "I know I was in a bit of a muddle, but I didn't
realize I was that bad," he said to me apologetically. "I hope I
didn't offend anyone." He was greatly relieved when I explained
the acronym in question meant "Short Of Breath" and not what he
thought.

_________________________________________________________
¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

[verified with snopes - http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/creditcard.asp ]

We all receive emails all the time regarding one scam or another;
but last week I REALLY DID get scammed! Both VISA and MasterCard
told me that this scam is currently being worked throughout the
Midwest, with some variance as to the product or amount, and if
you are called, just hang up.

My husband was called on Wednesday from "VISA" and I was called in
Thursday from "MasterCard". It worked like this: Person calling
says, "This is Carl Patterson (any name) and I'm calling from the
Security and Fraud department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460.
Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and
I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card issued by
5/3 bank. Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for
$497.99 from a marketing company based in Arizona?"

When you say "No". The caller continues with, "Then we will be
issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been
watching and the charges range from $297 to $497, just under the
$500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next
statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is
that correct?"

You say, "Yes". The caller continues . . . "I will be starting a
fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call
the 800 number listed on your card 1-800-VISA and ask for
Security. you will need to refer to this Control #". Then gives
you a 6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?" Caller
then says he "needs to verify you are in possession of your card.
Turn the card over. There are 7 numbers; first 4 are 1234
(whatever) the next 3 are the security numbers that verify you are
in possession of the card. These are the numbers you use to make
internet purchases to prove you have the card. Read me the 3
numbers." Then he says "That is correct. I just needed to verify
that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have
your card. Do you have any other questions? Don't hesitate to call
back if you do."

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you
the card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called
back within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The
REAL VISA security dept. told us it was a scam and in the last 15
minutes a new purchase of $497.99 WAS put on our card.

Long story made short . . . we made a real fraud report and closed
the VISA card and they are reissuing as a new number. What the
scam wants is the 3 digit number and that once the charge goes
through, they keep charging every few days. By the time you get
your statement, you think the credit is coming, and then its
harder to actually file a fraud report. The real VISA reinforced
that they will never ask for anything on the card (they already
know).

What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call
from "Jason Richardson of MasterCard" with a word for word repeat
of the VISA Scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up.

We filed a police report (as instructed by VISA), and they said
they are taking several of these reports daily and to tell
friends, relatives and coworkers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home