c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Monday, July 24, 2006

7/24 - Pioneer day Scout Camp

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Monday, July 24, 2006
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy 24th of July! Ok, you’ve heard the old joke; “do they have
the 4th of July in England?” Of course they do. It’s right after
the 3rd. Well, I assume you have the 24th of July in your neck of
the woods, just like Utah. Only here it's a state holiday and we
celebrate Pioneer Day. So, I didn’t have to work today.

Anyway, I digress. Yes, Justin was right in Friday’s issue; I was
at Scout camp. I always hesitate to make an announcement saying,
“Hey, I’m going to be gone from such and such a day...” Probably
for the same reason I call my sons #1 through #4. Just a slight
bit of internet safety. Although I wonder how many of you could
actually tell who I am and where I live, and what my kids names
really are...

Anyway, I digress even further.

Scout camp was pretty fun. We had a whopping 4 boys go up with us
this year. Because the Scouts require two adults to be with the
boys all of the time, we had to scramble with parents and extended
family, etc to go. We had 6 different men come up to cover during
different parts of the week. That was probably the toughest part
of the whole camp. I know, I should probably try to use my Scout
committee to make some arrangements, but that’s a whole ‘nother
story.



Son #1 had already been to camp several times and opted out this
year. But, it was son #2’s first year at Scout weeklong camp. He
got 7 or 8 merit badges done, and another few partials done. So,
he’s well on his way to getting his Star rank.

We had a lot of good times up there. On the night that he went out
for his astronomy merit badge observation with the merit badge
class, I had to coax him a little. [Side note; Can you imagine
being in the middle of the mountains, at 8900 feet, with clear
skies and zero light pollution... pretty nifty for star gazing]
So, he said he didn’t want to go, but I ‘made’ him go anyway. When
he came back he tried to be indignant, “Aw it was nothing I
couldn’t have seen on my computer screen dad!” But later at the
camp fire he talked (mostly to the other boys) about how cool it
was to see the milky-way.

On the last day of camp he attempted to try and climb the 12 foot
“greased pole” at the camp wide games. He jumped as high as he
could go (as you can imagine) and just slid down to the bottom. He
got dirty, but had fun.

Now, if you have 300 boys per week at a scout camp, for 7 weeks,
and they serve most of the scouts commissary style, that’s a lot
of food they have to store. What would you do as a camp director,
if you had several extra cans of dill pickle chips? A pickle
eating contest of course... Now this was something I thought son
#2 would be perfect at. As he entered, the current record was 23
slices in 30 seconds. (They can be in your mouth at 30 seconds,
but you can let them out in any way shape or form, and they have
to go down and stay down...) Son #2 was valiant, but only got in 8
at 30 seconds, and then ...... purged ..... them at about 45
seconds. He decided not to try that contest again.

We had fun and luckily didn’t lose get anyone killed.

Enjoy today’s Jokes!
Marty

=-=-=-
Reader Comment sections


_________________________________________________________
¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

At Sea World, our 4-year-old grandson absolutely refused to see
the show featuring Shamu the killer whale, but he wouldn't tell
us why. No amount of discussion could get him to change his
mind. Later, when we got home, we discovered the reason for his
reluctance. An aunt had told him how exciting the show would be
because, "They choose children from the audience to feed Shamu."

<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>

"France and Germany warned Iran this week not to pursue their
nuclear research program. In fact, France and Germany warned Iran
that if they didn't stop their program they would, you know, warn
them again.”
~Jay Leno

_________________________________________________________
¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

The stoplight on the corner buzzes when it is safe to cross the
street. I was crossing with an intellectually challenged co-worker
of mine, when she asked if I knew what the buzzer was for. I
explained that it signals to blind people when the light is red.
She responded, appalled, "What on earth are blind people doing
driving?!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home