c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

9/22 - Can you hear me now?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thursday, September 22, 2005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday it took forever to get son #4 into surgery. The bone
flap was stored off in a different building on the medical
campus, over at the University. He finally went into his 1:30
surgery at 3:30. When he went in, he had a choice on how to get
there; walk, wagon, or toy car. He chose a plastic police car,
with sirens blaring and a noisy radio. The nurse that was
pushing was a 'police dispatcher' and played the part well, "We
need back up here 'kzzz' Can you read me, over?" They were
having a great time walking down the hall to surgery...

The assisting surgeon told my sweet wife this morning that after
son #4 got in to the operating room, he indignantly asked the
surgeon, "Why did you take my bone out?" Son #4 said he couldn't
remember what his answer was... But he also asked to see his
bone before the put it in. He said it "looked like a wall." But
he couldn't describe much more. I can just see a world famous,
Mt. Everest climbing, brain surgeon being asked a bunch of
questions by a precocious 4-year-old. (Yes, he actually climbed
Everest http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600153058,00.html)

After surgery, the doc said he had calcium growth already
forming, so it shouldn't be a problem with healing. But he had
to drain some fluid where the tumor was in order to get the flap
back in and not put pressure on the brain. He said that was
normal. (if not gross...)

Today I spent a couple of hours with Son #4 and my sweet wife
before going to work this morning. I fed him a little breakfast
that he threw up after I left for work. They weren't sure it was
because of surgery drugs, a backed up system, or pressure on the
brain. So they left his brain fluid drain in for now, but pulled
everything else out. He also had a pretty tender back where they
did the spinal tap.

I came back to spend lunch with them, and as I walked in I said,
“Hey bud, I heard you threw up.” He looked at me with big eyes
and said, “You ~heard~ me throw up?”

Um, sort of...

Enjoy today’s Jokes!
Marty

=-=-=-
Reader Comment Section:

The Last joke about the guy breaking his wife's hard drive was
good! BUT roses alone, won’t save the poor guy! I know this from
experience!
Don!

[Ouch!]

Please don't think your updates are depressing. My opinion is
the updates express how much hope and support you show your
family. You have a great family and very good friends around
you, not to mention all your readers. All our prayers are with
you each and every day.
~Linda

Huge kudos to you and sons #1, #2, and #3 for shaving your
heads.
~Doug S.

[Who’da thunk a persons head could get cold in 80º September?!]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home