c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Saturday, September 24, 2005

9/24 - Back home, ready to eat at Chilis!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saturday, September 24, 2005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a quick Saturday night issue.

Son #4 made it home from the hospital fine today. My sweet wife
spent the first two nights with him, and I spent last night with
him. One night was plenty for me. I was ready to leave, but I
wasn’t sure son #4 was. They did a lumbar puncture, and his back
was pretty sore. He was walking like a hunched over geriatric
patient. But, his pain tolerance is pretty big, so he didn’t
complain much. Everything else checked out fine, and it seems
once he gets moving around and works things out, he’s fine. So,
they let him go. When he came home with his brothers, he was in
full force. It amazes me how fast he bounces back. He was
playing with his army guys, running around outside with his
brothers, and he and son #3 were playing mailman. (The mailman
came to the door today to see how son #4 was doing. Son #4 used
to go across the street to ‘Grandma Neighbors’ and get two
pieces of candy. He’d eat one, and leave one for the postman. He
says he wants to be a postman when he grows up.) Anyway, with
all of the running around, I wanted him to slow down, stop
climbing on things, and just watch TV or something. But, I
didn’t say anything to him. It was good to see him run with the
brothers.

Now, the real reason I wanted to do a Saturday issue, was to
remind you of the Chili’s donation on Monday of 100% of their
profits to St. Jude Children’s research hospital to fight
childhood cancer. (See St.Jude or Chilis) When you go, you can
also buy a placemat sized chili for a buck and color it.
(Money also goes to St. Jude’s). After seeing son #4 in action
today, I’m more than convinced that he’ll be ready for an
outing on Monday. We’ll be eating there, how about you?

Also, if you’d like to color an online version of a chili, you
can go here Then, if you’d like, email the chili to me
(under ‘email to a friend’ link) and I’ll post them on the blog site.

I’ve posted a chili that I made for son #4 on the blog site.
It’s really cheesy, but cheese and peppers go together, right?



Oh, and if you don’t get too grossed out, I’ve also posted pix
of son #4’s MRI before his first surgery on the blog site.



From the front, looking at him face to face


From the bottom of his head, looking to the top
Tumor is on his left side.

Nasty stuff 'eh? Now, got eat lunch (grin)...

Have a great Sunday!
Enjoy today’s Jokes!
Marty

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. And today? Today
is a gift. That's why we call it the present."
Babatunde Olatunji

=-=-=-
Reader Comment Section:

>If the left side of your brain controls the right side of your
>body, then only left-handed people are in their right mind.

Hi Marty, This joke is actually partly true--or the opposite is
true, whichever you like. There are a number of right-handed
people who have survived and live well with only the left side
of their brain (the right side having been removed). The same
cannot be accomplished by removing the left side of the brain.
Our "left brain" apparently has most of what we need to get by.
This explains why it is so hard to get left-handed people to
write with their right hands, as work normally done by the
person's right brain would have to be completed then transferred
to the left brain before instructions to activate the fingers
could happen. As I think about the people I meet each day, I
have no problem with the conclusion that only left-handed people
are in their right mind. Too bad I don't know many left-handed
people. Thanks for telling us about the struggles of son #4.
Your journal of his trials may be therapeutic for many of us
readers as well as for you. Life is not easy for anyone. Cheers
Bill A.

[It’s too bad you don’t know many lefties. Nice folks (just like
anyone else) but it’s a tough go if you eat next to a leftie on
who is your right side... ]

Marty, You and your 'sweet wife' have had a very "hard row to
hoe" the last few months. But I want to commend you all, your
faith has not slipped, and no! your blog is informative to us
who care about you, and not depressing! I send your info as
prayer request to everyone I know, and people talk about son
#4’s progress like he is the kid next door. Know that you are
loved and prayed for like you were the kid next door. Keep us
informed, we care. your friend in Christ,
(Rev.) Carol W. (Az)

[Thank you Reverend!]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home