c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

9/21 - Bone Back!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wednesday, September 21, 2005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a good hospital day. Two years ago, son #4 got a kitchen set for Christmas. One with pots, pans, plastic food, plates, etc. He still plays with that once in awhile. He has a very vivid imagination, and does well with ‘imagination’ toys. At one point today we were in the radiology department, waiting for them to call us for his CT scan. In the waiting room they had a kitchen set like the one he has at home. My sweet wife was using my laptop to check her email, so I was ‘recruited’ to play with him. He had me turn some knobs and push some buttons while he ‘cooked’ the food. Then he put it on the table, and told me to come over and ‘eat’ with him. I said, “Ok, you get the hotdog, and I’ll eat the egg.” He looked at me and said, “Dad, say prayers.” So in the crowded CT waiting room, I closed my eyes and quietly whispered “subba subba subba Amen”. Son #4 looked at me indignantly and said, “not that...” and then in his loudest-make-sure-everyone-can-hear-you-voice he said, “SAY PRAYERS!” So we said a quick and quiet prayer over our plastic food. I looked up and some lady was snickering, “You’ve taught him well.”

When I got home late from the hospital tonight, a neighbor had already brought in dinner in for the other boys, and they had consumed a good part of it. As I ate my dinner alone, I asked each of the boys to come up individually and tell me how their day went (Being the first day of buzzed hair). Son #1 had the best day. He said when he told his story why his head was shaved; he got 2 or 3 hugs from girls. I told him as long as that’s all he got, he was ok.

After surgery today, I got to go in the recovery room while son #4 woke up. When I got there, the nurse said that the first words out of his mouth were, “I got my bone back!” and his first words to me were the same, “DAD! I got my bone back!” He drank some root beer slurpie and drifted in and out of sleep. After we took him to his room, he was pretty mad that we forgot to tell him he’ll spend a couple of days at the hospital. He wanted to go home with me tonight.

Enjoy today’s Jokes!
Marty

=-=-=-
Reader Comment Section:

Don't worry about your site being depressing... we want to be
kept in touch with what is going on with Son #4, and with all of
you. As in all our lives, there are good and bad times. We
share all of it, right? All of you are in our prayers today.
~Linda B.

our prayer is for a speedy recovery for # 4 and a special prayer
for #1 who has a terrible taskmaster for a father. When he is 25
he will rejoice that you were a father who cared enough to
insist he do his best. Your veiwer mail has been a little slow
this past week. I find people will be afraid and not
do anything but we need to reach beyond the fear of saying the
wrong things and express ourselves. It gets kind of lonely when
people don't speak up. You have a great support system in your
life. prayers are with you.
~Kay L.

Hi Marty,
Will be thinking of you all tomorrow - and hoping it's not too
cold for the new haircut. With very best wishes,
~Ruth

[Funny you should say something. I need a stocking cap!]

Marty,
I can only speak for myself, but I have not found your website
"depressing". I have been saddened to read of the pain and
tribulations that you and your family; especially son #4, have
gone through, but I'm also honored that you would share this
with me; along with all your other readers, so that I can keep
you lifted up in prayer. Please continue to share in as much as
you feel comfortable doing. You and your family are in my
prayers that God will bless and keep you during this terrible
time. Your brother in Christ,
~Eddie

I have the book "If I Get To Five".
I loved it. The author, Dr. Epstein, holds a special place in my
family's heart for his loving consideration of my niece Kyra.
When you feel ready, you should consider reading it. It's
inspirational, the words written coming from one of the most
compassionate and loving doctors you could ever hope to meet,
who also happened to be one of the best neurosurgeons ever.
He suffered a serious head injury after a biking accident, and
he can no longer operate. In an ironic and touching twist of
fate, the surgeons he so lovingly trained ended up caring for
him after his brain injury. We're praying for Jimmy today, may
his bone flap surgery go well.
~Kathy

[Oh, it’s not a bad book by any means. The title just catches
you off guard when you’re not ready for it. I did finish it
Monday]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home