c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

9/13 - Ok, I'm done

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tuesday, September 13, 2005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday is the day that our home nurse comes to change son #4’s
PICC line dressing. Last week he screamed, yelled, and threw a
temper tantrum. The nurse told my sweet wife about an hour
before they came next time, to open up the stuff in this box and
let him play with it. The box contained a mask, rubber gloves,
alcohol wipes and other medical stuff. He got it out and was
playing with the stuff, when the nurse came to the door. He ran
up to the door, opened it, and told the nurse to come in. They
‘played’ awhile with the stuff, and took vital signs. Then the
nurse said it was time to take the stuff off (to get his tape
changed). Son #4 took off his mask, his gloves, and his wrap
around bandage, and then said, “Ok, I’m done. I’m going to watch
TV.” And then tried to take off down the hall. That was before
my sweet wife grabbed him and said he had to have the ‘window’
tape changed. He actually pulled it off himself. My sweet wife
said he grimaced, but didn’t cry. So, maybe medical school is in
his future.

Enjoy today’s Jokes!
Marty

p.s. I saw a sneak preview of “The greatest game ever played”
tonight. I’ll have to give you a review tomorrow.

=-=-=-
Reader Comment Section:

Marty,
Remember that the Docs have to give the worst case senario to
avoid the possibility of lawsuit. If an outcome is possible,
they have to mention it. It sure doesn't make the parents feel
any better, though. Prayer works miracles, and Jimmy sure has
heaven flooded with prayers on his behalf!
God bless,
Chuck

Dearest Marty, [Sweet wife] and family:
I thoroughly admit to being behind on my jokes--they never grow
old and, (I used to say this anyway), they would never be
outdated. Well, boy was I wrong! I am still in tears while
reading your Jimmy updates and I am not caught up yet. I think I
am on August 19th and I am looking for them in my email and
reading them as fast as I can. What I wanted to say though is
this: You, your wife and kids are wonderful. Your sweet wife's
way of mothering provides me encouragement in mothering my two
girls. When your boys make a huge mess out of the house or
don't listen to you, the way you handle it brightens my days and
shows me that we all have problems and issues with our children
... ... Basically we, as parents, can encourage and help
each other with whatever is going on with our kids, and your
more public fashion of teaching and showing this, (the JOTD), is
welcome, to this mother anyway. Since prayers are always welcome
and never too late, please know that you and your Jimmy, as well
as your sweet wife an the rest of the boys are all in my
prayers--in fact I pray for you all a lot.
With best wishes and affection,
Shannon R.

Oh, I know how a Cabelas grand opening can be a circus. They
opened one in southern Michigan a couple of years ago and it was
a media circus. I haven't ever been there, but from what i have
seen on tv it's huge. Always thought of going, then we moved 100
miles south of where we lived which made the drive twice as
long, and with gas prices now, it's been put on hold.
~Anon.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear family, found your notes from the PBT list...I have 4 kids too, 3 girls, 1 boy, #3 with brain tumor...glad you found our list, and spoke to our Dr Merchant...he is the best. Just so you know, our ins. total is just at $700,000. We just sign the paper and hope our insurance picks up...after nearly 5 years, who cares!..
    Keep us posted with your decisions, and glad(well, sort of) to have you all on our list..by the way, we did radiation at St Jude, and while we do deal with effects, it saved our Liz's life..so, we did the right thing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home