c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Monday, September 19, 2005

9/19 - Chili's Bear Hair

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Monday, September 19, 2005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First, I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate Justin
filling in for my on Fridays (And sometimes Monday mornings :-)
It keeps things going around here, plus gives me a day off
during the week. For those of you only reading the blog, you can
check out Justin’s humor almost every week at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/martysjotd

It’s been a year since we joined up with blogger.com and I
thought the site looked a little dated, so it’s got a whole new
look. Visit it at http://martysjotd.blogspot.com

Anyway, those of you who have been with us for awhile know that
I’m a computer technician for the huge hospital conglomerate
here in Utah. It’s the same place that took son #4’s tumor out.
They really do do good work. (I guess they do well on costs too,
because we’re still only around $105,000 on total bills.)

Anyway, every other Friday, we have our computer guys’ staff
meeting at the main office and we generally end up going to
lunch afterwards. Computer geeks working in the medical field
can generate quite an interesting conversation. On Friday we
ended up teasing each other about getting colonoscopies. I’m not
sure some of the other tables enjoyed our conversation, but our
table sure did.

I’m a little reluctant to say that I don’t mind going to work
just to get my mind off of son #4 and his cancer. Which
unfortunately leaves my sweet wife home to deal with it 24/7.
Still, going to Chili’s for lunch with ‘the guys’ was a welcome
break. That was, until we walked in. They had crayon colored
chili peppers all over the walls, and signs posted everywhere
saying they’re raising money for St. Jude’s and childhood
cancer.

Needless to say, I didn’t participate too much in the
colonoscopy conversation. I was too busy thinking about son #4.
(You can color a virtual chili pepper at
http://www.createapepper.com/ Also on Monday, September 26;
Chili’s will donate 100% of their profits from that day to St.
Jude’s children’s research hospital. (at least $100,000) So, if
son #4 is up to it after his bone flap replacement surgery this
Wednesday, I think we’ll go there. I hope you’ll all go there
too. (Speaking of Wednesday’s surgery, don’t forget us in your
prayers!)

I think I told you that “Parker Bear”, the bear we got from the
children’s brain tumor foundation ended up being moms bear. That
lasted for about an hour. Son #4 looked so cute with him, plus,
my sweet wife put “corn flake” bandages on the bear to match son
#4’s ko-flex bandages.

Since it’s a possibility that we’re all shaving our heads, and
my sweet wife is chopping off 8” of her hair for locks of love
tomorrow, we decided to get family pictures taken by brother-in-
law #1 on Saturday. (You can see son #4 and Parker bear on the
blog site.) Brother-in-law #1 does excellent work, so if you
need family pictures, email me and I’ll get you his information.
(shameless plug)

As always,
Enjoy today’s Jokes!
Marty

=-=-=-
Reader Comment Section:

All quiet today.


2 Comments:

  • At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, Marty! This is my first time here, and I must say #4 is adorable...we'll be thinking of you all tomorrow.

    You'll be happy to know that you won't be drowning in Care Bears, since we got all of said bears in the Continental U.S. last year when my daughter was diagnosed...I know what you mean, the interesting conundrum of having a child spoiled because of a brain tumor. In a similar vein, I once fell apart in a restaurant on a very rare date with spouse because the happy family at the next table was planning a trip to Disney World, and I realized we were only going to Disney because of Make A Wish...wrong, somehow.

    Anyway, good thoughts for you all tomorrow, and have a fajita for us at Chilis. Wish we had a Chilis close by...

    best,
    Kristin, Genna's mom (PBT list)
    www.caringbridge.org/nj/gennahenna

     
  • At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Marty,
    Will be thinking of you all tomorrow - and hoping it's not too cold for the new haircut.With very best wishes, Ruth

     

Post a Comment

<< Home