Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Monday, July 18, 2005


Monday, July 18, 2005

We looked at the calendar last week, and with Scout camps and
vacations, last weekend was the only weekend that we had free. We
decided to go camping. My in-laws (who are in Illinois for 6
months) have a piece of property down in Fairview Utah. This is
really close to the 3 small towns that I support computers at, for
the big health conglomerate I work for. As we firmed up our plans,
there was one hitch. I had told son #2 that Harry Potter was being
released on Friday night, and that I thought we could go to a party
somewhere. I had hoped he had forgotten, but he hadn’t. So, about
10PM we left camp and headed to the Super Wal-Mart in Ephraim Utah.
(College town population of 4000) We were 4th in line at Wal-Mart,
and sat in the produce section for almost 2 hours (With all of the
fruit flies). They weren’t much into giving out stuff, but son #2
asked one of the associates in front of us if he could have one of
her Harry Potter buttons. She said, “sure” and gave it to him.
There were almost 200 people in line by the time midnight rolled
around. I asked son #2 if he’d sell our place in line for ten
bucks. “Heck no dad!” At the stroke of midnight we raced to get his
book and then to the car. As we left, each and every car had their
dome lights on, with a passenger reading the book.

While the rest of the family slept Friday night, we got back to
camp and into bed by 1AM. With little ones camping, they were
excited and woke us up pretty early. After camping, we got home
around 4PM Saturday. Then Son #1 and I had a “Day of Celebration”
with 45,000 kids at the University of Utah football stadium.

( http://www.sltrib.com/search/ci_2866022 &
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600149284,00.html ) We had a
great time, and did some really cool stadium games) That was over
at about 11PM. As you can imagine, 45,000 people all heading home
at one time, created a traffic jam. It took us almost 2 hours to
get home. But the 3 13-year-old boys in my car sure had a great
time ‘flirting’ with hundreds of other young women stuck in the
same traffic jam. I had my hand on the window button, and if they
got even remotely crass or foul, I’d lock the windows and roll
theirs up for a couple of minutes. I only had to do that once or
twice. They were actually quite gentlemanly, albeit really goofy
around midnight.

Sunday night I went to bed early to catch up on sleep.

How was your weekend?

Enjoy today’s Jokes!

Reader Comment Section:


Post a Comment

<< Home