c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Monday, February 14, 2005

Hugs Kisses and Deep Deep Snow

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Monday, February 14, 2005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy Valentine’s Day!
How boring and practical my sweet wife and I getting. We planned
our Valentine’s date (dinner and a play) on Wednesday because the
restaurants are booked today. But, we did get a heart shaped pizza
and had a candle light dinner with the boys.

The Scout campout was a hit! Son #2 had a hard time keeping up with
everyone, probably because his legs are the shortest in the troop.
The next day on the way out, he didn’t seem to go much faster
either. I think it was because when he got home and we emptied his
pack, he still had a full gallon of water with him. We’ll have to
teach him a little better next time.

It’s amazing what 11, 12, and 13-year-old boys can do, even when
sleep deprived. They all slept in the cabin downstairs, while the
leaders slept upstairs. It was like a huge slumber party. 7 giggly
boys goofing off until the wee hours of the morning. Then getting
up early and playing in the snow for hours. I asked each one of
their parents on Sunday what the boys did when they got home. Each
one of them said their boys were in bed by 5PM and slept through
the night. I’m still trying to find time to catch up...

Anyway, the cabin we went to was high in the mountains, between 2
local ski resorts. On the way in the snow didn’t seem that deep,
but when we got to the cabin, and the snow was just over the 2nd
level of the cabin, we realized the snow was more than 10 feet
deep. We had to dig down to the front door to get in the cabin
(luckily it opened inward). And, I can honestly say I’ve never dug
stairs in the snow down to an outhouse door before...

On the hike in, I surprised myself. With one of the heaviest packs,
I was in the lead most of the way. I think it was that 5 days I
spent with Outward Bound course in the Joshua Tree Desert
backpacking. It’s funny what things stick with you. And no ankle
problems at all!

Ok, enough about camping and hiking.

Son #1 didn’t want to take any valentines to school today. “Mom,
they don’t do that in Jr. High” But she made him take some Hershey
‘Hugs’ anyway. He came home all grins and told my sweet wife, “Mom,
thanks for the ‘hugs’. I told the girls, ‘I’m not old enough to
give you a kiss, but I can give you a hug.’”

He though that was such a good line...

Enjoy today’s Jokes!
Marty

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home