c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Wallyball With Snowshoes??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wednesday, February 09, 2005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry about no issue last night. Son #1 (and now #2) both have
Scouts with me on Tuesday nights. Our troop is planning a campout
high in the mountains on Friday, and had a late night planning
meeting. We’re planning on snowshoeing in 6-8 feet of snow, to a
cabin that brother-in-law #2 has access to. It’s less than a mile,
and it’s mostly on cross-country groomed trails, but we’ve got a
few young Scouts who haven’t been backpacking. All of the 11-year
old Scouts are required to have a parent go with them, so with 8
boys, we’ve got 5 adults going. It should be fun.

Last night before our planning meeting, the younger Scouts stayed
and worked on requirements while the older group (12-18 year old
young men and women) went to the local rec center and played ‘Wally
ball’. It’s like Volleyball, but you play it on a racquetball
court, with a softer ball. You can use the walls and ceiling to
bounce the ball off of. It’s really fun! Now I consider myself
pretty good at Volleyball, and, as it turns out, I’m also pretty
good at Wally Ball. Unfortunately, that old geocaching grade III
double sprain I did a year and a half ago on my ankle, didn’t agree
with Wally ball. (See past issue’s #783 and #787 for the gory
details)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/martysjotd/message/783
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/martysjotd/message/787

So it’s ice and aspirin for the next couple of days before I strap
on those snowshoes! I sure hope these boys appreciate their Scout
leaders when they get older. I appreciate mine a whole lot more
just about now!

Enjoy today’s Jokes!
Marty

=-=-=-
Reader Comment Section:

The SuperBowl commercials were different here in California. They
threw beer out of the airplane, the bear stayed behind to dance in
another commercial. In the interesting facts, how were Marilyn
Monroe's six toes arranged, three on each foot?
Chuck

How funny that one of the items in Strange Facts is from Clarendon
Texas. I have family in Clarendon, and live about 30 miles from
there. Small world.
~Linda B

I am interested in the fact that Marilyn Monroe had six toes. What
happened to the other four?
~Uncle Butter

[Several people asked that same question]

I don't normally do this, but the A/B Hero Salute commercial moved
me deeply this past Sunday. Attached is a link to the Anheuser –
Busch web site that summarized free admission to their amusement
parks for all active service men and women.
http://www.herosalute.com/states/free_admission_summary.html
~Zach

Ok, Ok, I'm a little late on this, but I just now read Monday's
issue and saw the useless fact on the vowels (Facetious and
abstemious contain all the vowels in the correct
order, as does arsenious, meaning "containing arsenic."), and
remembered reading this somewhere: The only word with all the
vowels in reverse order is subcontinental. Pretty cool, huh?
~Jennifer R.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home