c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

12/4 - I think I ate too much...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tuesday, December 04, 2007
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eating in Chicago – Ok, remember how I told you I lost 25
pounds? Well, I've lost a negative 5 more pounds. (gulp) So,
here's a run down of my excuses.

The night we touched down in Chicago, the boys wanted to go to
Portillo's restaurant. It's a Chicago Dog, Italian sausage fast
food type place. After getting our luggage, the rental car, and
headed out, it was 8:10 PM before we found our first
Portillo's. (We drove right to it with the help of the GPS). Of
course, they closed at 8:00 PM. We begged and told them we just
flew in from Salt Lake just to eat a Chicago Dog. Their
response was, “See you tomorrow.” The kids were pretty
disappointed, as the last time they remember getting
Portillo's, is when I had it flown out from Chicago for my
wife's birthday several years ago.

So, that first night on the way to our cousins' home, we wanted
something truly Chicago. White Castle seemed to be a good
second choice. (Since they were open 24/7, including
Thanksgiving eve) They have the tiny burgers with big buns. I
have never been impressed with them, but the kids seemed to
like 'em. We split 3 combo meals, and upgraded to sweet potato
fries. A little weird, but with sweet, drippy, cinnamon sauce,
they weren't that bad.

The next day was Thanksgiving. After participating in the
traditional Thanksgiving day hike, (What, you don't have family
traditions?) we went to the museum of science and industry (on
a free entrance day). We took a cousin, had a wonderful time,
and ate the traditional $8 side salad at the museum cafeteria.
Then we ate a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner put on by my Aunt.
During the next two days we managed to grab Chicago dogs at Gene and Judes and Portillo's. Both different from each other, but both really good.

One night I took the whole family out to a place in Geneva
called SanFrantello's Pizza. A bit pricey, but it was good and we had a great time.



The kids and my mom flew home on Sunday. At RSNA the vendors
really want to impress everyone, and wine and dine them. So,
Sunday night we went to the Shedd Aquarium with hundreds of
other people. They had a huge buffet with huge shrimp, salads,
hors d'oeuvres, and great deserts. There was even a little
chocolate one that I took a bite off. “Honey, does this taste a
little spicy to you?” I asked as I handed it to her. She took a
bite and we looked at each other, and at the same time said,
“Rum!”

Oops... We didn't try any more of those goodies.

The next night we ate at Hugo's Frog Bar and Fish House. I
think that was the best meal I had all week. I got the W.R.'s
Chicago Cut Prime Steak. Wow, it was good. (And paid for to
boot!)

On Tuesday night, we ate at an Italian place called Maggiano's Little Italy. It was really good too. It's a family style restaurant, and we had salmon, chicken, pasta, and calamari(!). They had an open bar, and someone suggested I try a Roy Rogers. It was a little sweet, but I didn't have to get the umbrella like a Shirley Temple. Since most of us were from Utah, I think only 1 of their customers actually ordered a 'real' drink that night.

On Wednesday, we went to the Tavern on Rush. It was another hoytee toytee fancy steak house. This time there were only 15 of us, and they let us order directly from the menu. (as opposed to having only 2 or 3 choices). So I ordered a filet mignon. Medium Rare thank you. But, when they brought out 14 other entries, they forgot mine. After 10 or 15 more minutes, they brought this huge piece of meat, slightly over done on the outside, and red and cool on the inside. Rare, not medium rare. So, I cut off the outsides and sent back the rest to the kitchen. It came back, slightly burned out the outside again, but medium rare on the inside. Much better, but everyone else was done, so I didn't finish. I wasn't quite sure how to act when someone else was paying for a fancy dinner, and then my meal gets messed up. But, everyone knew my dinner was late and not cooked right, so I think the guy who paid and the waiter had some words about it... Anyway, the food was ok, but the service wasn't that good.

Then, Thursday night, my Aunt and Uncle invited us out to their house for a (quiet) dinner. We had really good Salmon, and the best company all week!



So, Friday before we flew home was the only time my sweet wife and I got to pick somewhere to go alone. We picked Giordano's pizza. Mostly because it was only a block and a half away from our hotel, and right on the way to Ben and the parking lot. Earlier in the week we managed to fit in Pizzaria Uno's for lunch. And, comparing the two, I think I'd have to say Giordano's was better. (But we ate at Pizzaria Due's several years ago, [Uno's second restaurant] and I think that beat them both). But, as my boys would say, “it's all good.” When we ate at Giordano's on Friday night, we only ate 1/2 of the small pizza. We saved the 2nd half for lunch on the plane Saturday. (A night in the rental car kept is nicely frozen) I tired to take the pizza through security, and they yelled, “All food must be x-ray'd!” So, we had cold, zapped, pizza on the plane. (Not bad considering American Airlines was selling a full sized Snickers bar for $3!)

Anyway, that's my excuse for doing rotten on my diet for the past 2 weeks. What's yours?

Life is good...

Enjoy Today’s Jokes!
Marty

<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>

Here's an interesting article I ran across today...

Boy Scouts ignore 'pay-up-or-move' ultimatum
Philadelphia threatening $199,999 rent increase or eviction

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59021


<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>

Our family was dazzled by the sights and the bustling crowds during a visit to Manhattan. "This is the city that never sleeps," I told my eleven-year-old daughter.

"That's probably because there's a Starbucks on every corner," she observed.

<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>

One little punctuation mark would have made a world of difference in the gigantic sign I saw posted outside a local family restaurant: "Kids Under 12 Eat Free Live Clown Every Wednesday."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home