c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

10/17 - C'mon Baby needs a new pair of shoes!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wednesday, October 17, 2007
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Driving to Brain Tumor clinic today was not pleasant. I had this butterfly feeling in the pit of my stomach that came ‘this close’ to making me toss my cookies. This ‘what if’ stuff is for the birds!

The oncologist said that the 2 spots are in "the exact same place" that they have been since the post surgery MRI, and that's what we saw on the images. (Kind of what I thought) They were only 2 and 3mm in size, (not the 5mm I thought the radiologist said). I think the radiologist only looked at one ‘relevant prior’ which is the last MRI he had. He didn’t look at all of the prior studies. I think, if he had, he’d have seen the 2 spots come and go. The oncologist also said that sometimes the radiologists don’t put in everything they see. (IE: Dr. Hedlin didn’t put in anything in his reports about the 2 spots, I guess because they were really small.)

However, (isn’t there always a ‘however...’) on Monday’s MRI the gadolinium contrast made the spots appear 'brighter', which our oncologist said should mean bad news. But, she's seen a lot of times that the timing of the contrast vs. timing of the MRI will make things look worse than they really are. She said, "We're pretty sure it's nothing, but can’t promise you anything." She told us to, “...have a good holiday season” and that they’d like to see us in about 2 months instead of 4 months, “just to make sure.”

Hopefully we’ve dodged a bullet. But, now we have to hold our breath again for 8 10 weeks. Everything else seems normal. Relatively speaking that is...

On another sad note, our pet parakeet Kiki died last night. He just got too old and he finally gave in to whatever was ailing him for the past several months. We had a nice little ceremony in the back yard, complete with tears and appropriately, the season’s first snow.
Marty

3 Comments:

  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger Kathy said…

    That sounds way better.

    So I'm offering cautious congratulations to your family and especially to your little warrior.

    When Steven gets his MRI's, the contrast is injected automatically by the computer, at a certain rate and at an exact time during the scan.

    But maybe a second opinion on the scans?

     
  • At 11:09 AM, Blogger Kathy said…

    BTW, I'm sorry about your parakeet.

    My mother had a parakeet that lived 15 years.

    I buried my 19-year old cockatiel in our back yard 5 years ago, he predated my marriage and my college graduation.

    I have a soft spot for birds, but for me right now two kids, two bearded dragons and a yellow lab seem like enough.

     
  • At 2:04 PM, Blogger LACY said…

    That does sound a lot better. I know Jimmy will be fine, he is a trooper! Sorry about your bird too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home