c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Monday, December 03, 2007

12/3 - Home again home again jigity jig

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Monday, December 03, 2007
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What a long vacation! We took the boys to Chicago for Thanksgiving and my sweet wife and I stayed for an extra week for the RSNA conference. (Radiologic Society of North America). It's a huge conference with upwards of 70,000 people attending. Doctors and participants take continuation classes, vendors vend, and take everyone out to expensive restaurants.

Here's a few notes on our Chicago trip. More later;

Eating breakfast – the day after my four boys flew back home to Salt Lake (Sunday) my sweet wife and I went out to breakfast at McDonald's. We each ordered a breakfast burrito, and I ordered a large orange juice for us to split. She went up to get napkins, forks, and a straw for us, but came back with enough plastic wear and straws for all six people! But, by the end of the week, she was getting only two straws.

Baker's shoe store – my sweet wife and I went to Baker's shoe store. They had hundreds and hundreds of shoes for sale, and lots of loud rock music playing. But the one thing that seemed odd in the store was the hat , their were no man shoes available for sale!

Chicago weather – The weather in Chicago was about the same temperature, as it was the Salt Lake last week, (about 30°F). But there is the reason that they call Chicago the Windy city. The wind was constantly blowing and the wind chill factor was usually between zero and five below. Next time I'll bring a warmer coat!

Chicago Board of trade – just around the corner from our hotel was the Chicago Board of trade. We toured their one afternoon, but after September 11, 2001, all they had for us to see was a small museum with pictures and fax about how CBOT worked. Not as exciting as I had hoped it would be.

Shopping on Michigan Avenue – it was kind of cool to see all of the lights and decorations on Michigan Avenue, but the prices were more expensive than they were online. My sweet wife found a Dick Blick Art supply store that she said she could, “stay and shop for hours”, but decided it was cheaper to shop at their store online instead. After one afternoon shopping on on Michigan Avenue, we found we 'shopped' a lot, but only bought a comic book and some stuff at Walgreens.

Chicago transportation - One mistake I made while on my first visit to RSNA this year, was to get a rental car. When we pulled up to the hotel there was a parking rate sign posted; Parking for less than two hours cost $12, 2-6 hours was $24, and parking overnight was $44. I asked the parking attendants if there was any cheaper parking in the area, and he said ”sorry you're in the big city now”. I ended up asking the concierge's desk where I could park for less, they told me that six blocks away was a parking lot at the Union Station parking lot for only $20 a day. (Oh boy, now that's cheap!) So every day at 6:30 p.m. We walked in the 0° wind chill to pay $20 to a parking attendant named Ben. We got to know him really well though, and even brought him a yo-yo from the conference, for his six year old little girl. He said she loved it.

In Chicago everyone uses public transportation; trains, taxicabs, or buses. And hundreds and hundreds (and Hundreds!) of people walk the sidewalks each day. When waiting to cross the street, one thing you have to learn is to not hang your toes over the curb, if you do you're libel to get them squashed by cab. My sweet wife and I also learned quickly that signal indicators and traffic lights are just a guideline for signaling. The “honk of a horn” is much more meaningful than in any other signal device available.

Eating in Chicago –
More on that in my next issue. You'll not want to miss it!

Life is good...

Enjoy Today’s Jokes!
Marty

=-=-=-
Reader Comment Section;

Marty,
Love the pictures! Thank you for sharing them with us. Your family is very good looking! I'm glad you have been able to find people recently, and like that the scout master is still in scouting with the same troop. Our Cub Pack leader took the job because he was the parent with 4 boys, I hope his dedication is like your leader.
Jen B, Ohio


<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>

At Disneyland, forever
Last Friday, the "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride at Disneyland was shut down after someone was seen dumping a powder into the water -- employees say it was human ashes. It is a misdemeanor in California to scatter ashes on private property without permission. But as more people opt for cremation instead of expensive burials, the state's Cemetery and Funeral Bureau is fielding more ash-scattering complaints from golf courses and other venues. "If these were rogue funeral directors out there tossing remains out of rides, we would take a very dim view," said bureau spokesman Kevin Flanagan. "But how are you going to enforce something like that?"

<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>

Unfortunately, getting a new passport required a new photo. As I handed my ten-year-old passport and the new picture to the clerk, I sighed. "I like the original better," I told her.

"Trust me," she said. "Ten years from now, you'll like this one."

<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>

My pregnant daughter and her husband were checking out a new birth facility that was more like a spa. The birthing room had a hot tub, soft music and candlelight. "What do you think?" she said

He looked around. "Isn't this how we got here in the first place?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home