c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

10/25 - Huge Dilemma

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wednesday, October 25, 2006
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, I think I told you about my driving experience when we moved
to Utah when I was a 15 year old kid. How I thought it was so cool
that I got to drive my dad’s truck, with 2 horses behind, in a
snow storm, coming over the Rocky Mountains. That was my real
baptism by fire introduction to driving. I used to love driving as
a kid. I thought it was cool, and because I had driven so much
longer than the other kids, I thought I was special. I even
remember asking older people if they enjoyed driving. All of them
used to say just about the same thing, “Not really. It’s just a
means to get somewhere.” Well, I’ve been taking the train off and
on for about 3 weeks now. I’ve decided that I really don’t like
riding the train. But I’ve decided I like driving less than taking
the train.

For the last two years while I worked computer support, when I
drove to my office, one of my excuses not to take public
transportation was that I needed my car for my job. If other
clinics in the valley needed support, I’d hop in my car and go and
fix their computer problems. A lot of the times I’d go to a clinic
on my way home from the office, and then only charge the company
mileage one way. It saved me a little commute time, and it saved
the company a little coin. Since I’m pretty much stationed at the
one clinic, I feel pretty safe about not having to use my car for
work stuff, and it’s ok to ride the train.

But, today brings up and interesting ‘moral dilemma’ as Dr. Laura
would say... Ok, it’s not anywhere as exciting or as interesting,
and it’s actually pretty trivial, but it’s something to write
about.

So right now I’m taking the train home (and of course I’m using my
extra 30 minutes of time to write the joke of the day). But I’m
not really going home; I’m actually working. About 30 minutes
before I was supposed to leave, a clinic called and needed a CD of
x-ray images delivered. Since the clinic is just a few blocks from
where I get off the train, I said I’d bring it down for them.



So, my trivial moral dilemma is; should I charge my company
mileage to deliver the CD or not. It is actually work, but on the
other hand, I’m not actually using gas, just electricity. But on
the other hand, it is ‘mileage’ that I’m traveling, and I did pay
a fare to ride the train. And then again on the other foot, it’s
only like $4 and no big deal, and the paperwork is a hassle. I
think to be on the safe (lazy?) side I’ll let it go. What do you
think? (Other than ‘what in the heck are you worrying about train
mileage for, there are tons more important issues to worry about
in this world!’)

Enjoy today’s Jokes!
Marty


<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>

Fans of '60s music, my 14-year-old daughter and her best friend
got front-row tickets to a Peter, Paul and Mary concert. When they
returned home, my daughter said, "During the show, we looked back
and saw hundreds of little lights swaying to the music. At first
we thought the people were holding up cigarette lighters. Then we
realized that the lights were the reflections off all the
eyeglasses in the audience."

[I heard another version saying that it was lit up, open cell
phones waving back and forth. Marty]

_________________________________________________________
¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

"A strong 6.6 magnitude earthquake hit Hawaii yesterday morning.
Pretty scary. President Bush says he wants to do anything he can
to help them because he considers Hawaii to be one of our
strongest allies. Of course, FEMA was there immediately. Actually,
some FEMA had arrived a day earlier to assess the damage from the
Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor." --Jay Leno


\\(^o^)//¥\\(^o^)//¥\\(^o^)//¥\\(^o^)//¥\\(^o^)//¥\\(^o^)//¥\
When my husband was a student at Tennessee Temple University, I
often asked him to do errands after class, tying ribbons on his
fingers to remind him. A good sport, he didn't protest, even
though his classmates obviously noticed my little reminders. One
day he had to have a mole removed from above his ear and emerged
from the doctor's office with his head wrapped in a white
bandage. When he walked into class, everyone just stared. Finally
one student blurted out, "Whatever your wife wants you to remember
today, it must be REALLY important."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home