c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Thursday, November 24, 2005

11/24 - Shine a flashlight on your turkey

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thursday, November 24, 2005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanksgiving issue.

I always love turkey day. Food, family, and fights. You know the
routine. (Ok, I’ve never actually seen a fight on Thanksgiving,
but you never know.)

The closest we ever come to blows is when the boys and their
cousins get together. Like tonight; Son #4 and his 17-month-old
cousin #7 got together and were playing together just fine. When
son #4’s cousin started ‘talking’ to him, son #4 politely said,
“Cousin #7, I can’t stand you.” They played along for a little
while longer, and cousin #7 looked at son #4 and ‘said’ something
else to him (in 17-month-old-speak, you don’t get much of what’s
said). This time son #4 raised his voice a little and said,
“Cousin #7, I can’t stand you!” My sister-in-law looked at them
both, then back at my sweet wife, but didn’t say anything to her.
Cousin #7 again said something else a little louder and son #4
yelled this time, “I CAN’T STAND YOU!” By this time his mom said
to my sweet wife, “What did he say?” My sweet wife, knowing all,
matter-of-factly said, “Oh, he says he can’t UNDERstand cousin
#7.”

I just had an interesting conversation with my sweet wife. We were
just changing the dressing on son #4’s PICC line, just before I
started writing today’s issue. She came down and said, “Son #4
told me he had a dream that he died. I said, ‘Did you really die?’
and he said, ‘No, I almost died’. The he said that he Heavenly
Father and Jesus came to see him, and said they were on Fire.” My
sweet wife said, “What do you mean on fire?” He said, “They were
on fire, like that.” Pointing to the light on the ceiling, “like a
flashlight.”

Fwew... I’m not sure what it means... if anything, but...

I am thankful today (and every day) that son #4 is still with us.
I know there is a reason we’re all going through this. And, I
think there’s a reason that I’m supposed to write this all down. I
am so thankful for my sweet wife and how well she holds up during
these times. I am also so very thankful for the fasting and
prayers that were said by our Church, family, friends, and you
readers back on our big surgery day. I know the Lord listened to,
and answered our prayers. For that, I am also very thankful. I am
grateful for a gospel that teaches us that no matter when or how
each of us dies, that if we live correctly, we can live together
as a family forever.

So, sorry to be so mushy, hope your Thanksgiving Day was good, and
if you do venture out tomorrow morning for shopping on Black
Friday, be nice to the guy next to you.

For those of you who get this as email...
Enjoy today’s Jokes!
Marty

=-=-=-
Reader Comment Section:

Thanks for the flee story. It was good!
~Korbus B.

[You betcha!]

2 Comments:

  • At 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When my daughter Lizzie was about to loose one of her best friends in Clinic, the Oncol Dr. came to me to talk so I could be prepared..she told me that kids seem "closer", or more open to visits by God, or angels, and have many times told of visits, or visions of heaven, God, or often visits specifically from the friend that died, to tell them and reassure them..so, when Liz later told me Ashley was really ok, I did understand..
    It is an amazing journey you are on..

     
  • At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I saw your blog link on the virtual trials website and I really get a kick out of reading it. I have 10 yo and 5 yo daughters, so a lot of it sounds vaguely familiar. ;)

    My father has a brain tumor but it certainly doesn't seem as harsh as watching a little one deal with it. Much health and happiness to your little guy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home