Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

8/24 - I'll start the bidding at $175K

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I now know why the make medicines in liquid form for little ones.
Son #4 had 3 doses of his steroid left to take. (I think they’re
just trying to buff him up to play in Major League Baseball...)
They were in pill form. These are supposed to help brain swelling.
He had one pill yesterday, and 2 today to take. This morning my
sweet wife put the pill on the back of his tongue, told him not to
chew it, then had him drink a large glass of water. After he drank
the water, he came up chewing the pill. He said it was, “Yucky!”
but took it all. My sweet wife crushed up tonight’s dose and put
some maple syrup with it. It seemed to go down easier.

Things are working their way through his system naturally today,
I’m very happy to say, and with no major complications. The
neurosurgeon wants to see him in 4 weeks, the ophthalmologist at
the same time, and pathology said they’d call when they got the
results in, and oncology wants to see us after that. The home care
nurse came in today and showed my sweet wife how to do a heparin
injection in his PICC line each day (to prevent blood clots in the
line) and said they’d be by once a week to change his PICC line

So, it will be us getting him stronger for the next few weeks at
home. (And, by the way, he’s doing even better today. He’s walking,
talking, playing video games, and laughing at his 4-year-old fart

I don’t really know how much his 11 day hospital stay will cost,
but I think I’ll take guesses from everyone. After all the bills
are in, I’ll announce the closest guess. Here’s what I’m basing my
guess on. 7 days in PICU (Pediatric Intensive Care). 2 surgeons and
a fellow for surgery on Sunday 8-14. 2 Embolism specialists
(Embolists?) from a different hospital, and a cool real time video
game console that help steer the tubes of goo to the tumor, on
Wednesday 8-17. 3 more neurosurgeons on Wednesday 8-17. 24/7 of
‘personal’ nurses with him while in the PICU. (2 days it was 2
nurses to one patient) Tons of drugs to keep him asleep and at
least 5 bottles of pediasure once they finally put in a feeding
tube in (6 days after they put him down). 4 more days in the
hospital regular care. 4 or 5 orderings a day from the room service
folks, including 5 pieces of cheesecake during the first 2 days.
One stuffed purple dragon from the CT scan guys out of their
‘special’ closet, one stuffed bear on Wednesday bingo that he won
while asleep, two tired parents, and two tired ‘fill in’ parents
watching 3 extra boys for several days.

My rounded out guess. $175,000

Luckily we have an out of pocket max per year that we should easily
be able to meet, but it’s fun to look at the ‘real’ numbers. Email
me your guesses, and I’ll keep them secret until after all the
bills come in.

Enjoy today’s Jokes!

Reader Comment Section:

Did you know that based on scientific studies in which one patient
with the same ailment as another was prayed for without knowing it
recovered faster than the one who was not prayed for.
~Megan L.

[There’s lots of information on the web for both sides (saying it
works, saying all of the studies were fraudulent), but, I know what
~I~ believe...]

Dear Marty and family,
I am utterly astonished, but delighted, that Jimmy was able to come
home so soon. It's amazing! He has made great progress. What about
the flap of bone:are they going to reattach it? In any case, it's
wonderful that he is seemingly back to normal, with no paralysis,
etc., and able to be with you again so quickly. I'll continue to
pray for a complete recovery.
~Marianne R.

[They tell me that the bone flap is in a freezer somewhere back at
the hospital. I hope someone doesn’t mistake it for a soup bowl!]

Marty your really have no idea how many people everywhere fasted
and prayed for your son and your family. Son #4 is really quite a
charming young man and many of us waited anxiously for any news at
all. I am glad you are getting such good ward support. It is so
important. It will be a long time before you and your wife will
sleep soundly again. Our prayers will continue to be with you.

[And I was so hoping to get a good night’s rest sometime this
month. I know it didn’t happen last night. We’ll see about tonight]

Glad to hear the little guy's feeling good!

[So are we!]


Post a Comment

<< Home