c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Monday, January 17, 2005

Quick, Call the Fire Dept!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Monday, January 17, 2005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In my new position as tech support with the hospital conglomerate,
I support three health facilities about 100 miles away in central
Utah. In that area, there are a lot of really really small towns,
and several large turkey farms. This area of Utah supplies a good
percentage of the turkeys for the entire United States. In one
small town I drive through called Mornoi, there’s this huge Norbest
turkey processing plant, and at the front they have an itty bitty
little store where you can buy anything turkey, for cheap. (On one
trip I even got fresh turkey breast deli meat for 75¢ a pound!)

On Sunday night we usually cook something nice for the family. This
Sunday we decided to have a nice turkey roast. But when I pulled
the turkey out of the oven, I noticed that we had spilled a bunch
of stuff in the oven the previous time we cooked. So I decided to
flip the oven in to self-clean mode. We sat down for dinner, had
our prayer, and started eating a nice Sunday dinner. Then the oven
started smoking. Not just a little smoke, but bad-stinky-make-your-
eyes-water type smoke. So we all moved to the living room to eat.
It got pretty thick, so I decided to open run into the kitchen,
open an outside door, and set out a big fan to blow the smoke out.
I just knew someone would call the fire department.

Not 5 minutes later, Justin’s dad, our neighbor called.

I said, “Oh, Hi LaMonte. I know why you’re calling, and no, our
house isn’t on fire.”

Silence...

“We’re just cleaning the oven, and it’s a little smoky.”

He replied, “Oh, yeah, Um, that’s right. Yeah, I was being a good
neighbor and calling asking about all the smoke.”

And without missing a beat he said, “Oh, and while I have you, I
need to get some information about your pinewood derby cars you
guys are making...”

Hmm... yeah, right LaMonte, I’m glad it was just a smoky oven this
time! (Grin)...

Enjoy today’s Jokes!
Marty

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home