c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Monday, October 15, 2007

10/15 - Today's the day

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Monday, October 15, 2007
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today is MRI day at the hospital. I hate MRI days. My co-worker had a dentist appointment that he wouldn’t change, so I had to go in to work. Luckily my boss is great and let me take a ‘long’ lunch, and take calls from the hospital

When son #4 was in the lab to get his IV and blood drawn, the nurse on the IV team got a call to do an IV in the NICU. Son #4 looked up and said, “You can go ahead, I’ll wait.” No such luck. So, son #4 already has his ‘poke’ and we’re sitting in the MRI waiting room, the one we always get, listening to the baby in the next room scream her head off while they put in her IV. Sometimes the IV team just doesn’t get it. One time they poked son #4 6 times before they got his MRI in. We now know to get him to drink as much liquids as possible before he gets ‘poked’. It makes the vessels get bigger.

When the nurse practitioner came in, she looked like a pretty stern lady; all business. I thought to myself, I’ll give her about 60 seconds before son #4 says something that makes her smile. She said, “So is this your first MRI, or have you been here before?” We all just rolled our eyes and said, “Lots of times...” When she looked at son #4, she said, “Oh, so you’re a doctor?” (He’s wearing his new scrubs) And he replied matter of factly, “Um, No, I’m not really a doctor; I’m just a kid who’s wearing scrubs.” Bingo, 49 seconds. Almost a record.

This is about our 5th or 6th MRI, so we know the ropes. Where the bathrooms are, where to sit, what to do while he’s in his MRI. We always go to the cafeteria right after son #4 falls asleep. They’re always closed between 10-11, so we grab a cold sandwich. Now, our next step is to get a radiologist to read the MRI and tell us everything is fine.

More later.

Enjoy today’s jokes!
Marty

1 Comments:

  • At 12:47 PM, Blogger LACY said…

    Oh the joys of MRI's...Hope everything is fine, I'm sure it is. Good Luck. We have an MRI in December.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home