c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

12/6 - Recovery with Basketball Helmets

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wednesday, December 06, 2006
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stayed with son #4 last night, and let me tell you, his hospital
room was no Ritz Carlton. There was a tiny fold out chair, nurses
coming in all of the time, alarms going off, and a little boy
calling out my name. At 4:00AM after they took his vitals, he
wanted to stay up and play games. I told him that probably
wouldn’t be wise. I tried to sleep for the next 90 minutes or so,
then gave up and took a shower.

But, after the sun came up, it was another good recovery day.
After breakfast, a very short, very young looking female doctor
came in and took son #4’s dressing off. (Boy, he’s got a wicked
scar across his head. See photos on the web site) When she was
done, she asked me if there was anything else she could do for me.
I was looking at son #4, not paying attention and had some
questions for his surgeon that I met on Monday. I said, “Are the
surgeons coming in to check on him today?” She glared at me and
said, “I am one of the surgeons.” Oh, Oops... sorry. I guess she
just reminded me too much of Doogie Howser, M.D....

After that, son #4 re-discovered the Forever Young Zone (donated
by BYU and 49’ers football star Steve Young). It’s a place with
video games, cars, toys, and cool stuff for kids to use. He must
have gone up there 4 or 5 times today. After my sweet wife came up
to give me a break, I went back to work. She called me about 2:00
and said that the Utah Jazz basketball players were up there
visiting the patients. There were 2 players and an assistant coach
in son #4’s room. They had NBA TV filming, and a photographer from
the local paper there taking pictures. (2 more pictures on the
blog). Ast. Coach Scott Layden, and players Ronnie Brewer, and
Paul Millsap were there. Also a Jazz dancer named Ricci. They
said there will be a piece on NBA TV with him in it, but unfortunately,
we don’t have NBA TV. [If anyone has it, and can record the spot,
I’d love a copy!] Anyway, they laughed and joked with son #4 and
made him smile. They signed a small basketball for him and left.
After they were gone, son #4 turned to my sweet wife and said,
“Wow, that was cool. But how come they didn’t have their helmets
on?”

Hmm... He must have been thinking about Steve Young and the
Forever Young Zone!

Enjoy today’s Jokes!
Marty


Layden and Millsap


Brewer and Millsap
_________________________________________________________
¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

[Here’s an old joke I sent during the playoffs in April of 2000]

Karl Malone and Michael Jordan died and went to heaven. St. Peter was
waiting for them at the Pearly Gates. "Come on in boys, I'll show you
around the place." St. Peter took Michael aside first. "Michael
because you were such a great basketball player and a good Samaritan
we would like to present you with this house to live in." He then
pointed to a run down old shack with a Chicago Bulls banner over the
front door. Michael was stunned, he had worked so hard all of his
life and this was his reward? He looked off into the distance and up
on a beautiful hill, there was a glorious mansion. Beautiful
fountains, flowers, and a Utah Jazz banner over the front door. In
fact the windows were stained glass "GO JAZZ", and the street name
was KARL MALONE AVENUE. Michael was disgusted "You mean after all my
championships, all my MVP's, you give me this run down old thing, and
Karl gets that house!?" St. Peter started to laugh "Michael, Michael,
Michael, that's not Karl's house, that's the Boss' house!"


<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>

You know you are totally and hopelessly
addicted to basketball when...

-You’re asked in a spelling bee contest to spell Krzyzewsky,
Gheorghe, Gugliotta, Marciulionis, Jacikevicius, Ilgauskas and
Szczerbiak… and you spell each and every name perfectly right. What's
more, you spell Tomjanovich with an 'h' and Rakocevic without one...

_________________________________________________________
¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Basketball
By Cole Bossman

The beat of the ball marks my rhythm,
Times like these let you know you are livin',
My calves are burning, crying out in pain,
Soaring through the air they think I'm insane,
A thirteen year old shooting 'till 10 o'clock, they stare,
As I sore easily through the air,
They ask why I do it, why am I there,
Why do I love it so much, why do I care,
I cannot say anything to them, they just don't understand,
What it's like to look down and not be on land,
They don't understand how hard it was to get here,
How I went through disappointment, how I went through fear,
How I played through injury, serious and not,
How I played in the rain, and when it was hot,
How I studied and learned the entire game,
Just to get to the top, so they would know my name,
And so as I stand here, the cold breeze touching my face,
I know I belong here, this is my place,
So when those people ask why I do this all day,
I say, because I love it, I'm here to stay,
And so when the day is long overdue,
I go home happy, good as new,
Because what keeps me going runs in my every vein,
It's this undying love, for this perfect game.
© 2004 Cole Bosmann


Getting it all cut off before surgery


Tuff Armies


There are those darn fries again!


Taking the dressing off


All Gone


Parker Bear's Turn


Son #4 and one of his Sunday School Teachers who works there

1 Comments:

  • At 9:15 AM, Blogger Kathy said…

    Jimmy is looking great.

    It never ceases to amaze me how rapidly the kids bounce back from brain surgery.

    That's quite an incision. In San Diego they used dermabond to close Steven's incision, it's awesome stuff, no stitches.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home