c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Thursday, November 03, 2005

11/03 - Tumor Boy flip flop

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thursday, November 03, 2005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

14/33 = 42% almost half way! 19 more to go. He’s starting to lose
some hair. Not noticeable yet.

Sometimes things change in a hurry. Son #4 is getting used to his
treatments. He knows all of the nurses (and they certainly know
him!) and he knows the routine. Today my sweet wife had a second
appointment with him at the oncologist’s office at the children’s
hospital. But there were a few hours in between appointments to
kill. When he woke up from his appointment he got Apple juice,
graham crackers, and cheetos. Then he got the royal treatment
between appointments. My sweet wife took him out to Burger King
for breakfast. (He can’t eat until after he wakes up) Then she
spent some time with him at the church museum downtown, (they have
a kids’ play room upstairs) and finally they played in the
pediatric oncologist’s waiting room (with lots of toys). While
they were sitting in the oncologists examination room son #4 said,
“I like being tumor boy!”

But things turned ugly when they ‘strongly recommended’ he get a
flu-shot. They coaxed and pleaded with him, but ended up having to
hold a screaming kicking kid down to stick him. He told my sweet
wife, “I’m mad at you!” Later he said, “I don’t like being tumor
boy.”

I think he was still mad at her when they got home. He ended up in
the bathroom with my sweet wife’s makeup drawer open. “What are
you doing in there?” she asked. He said, “Come over here mom, you
look bad. Let me put some make up on you.”

For those of you who get this as email...
Enjoy today’s Jokes!
Marty

=-=-=-
Reader Comment Section:

Love the pics!!!!
~Lacy F.

Marty,
I have been sharing your JOTD with my sweet hubby lately, and I
just finished reading to him your buying all those
potatoes....This is my husband's suggestions for your potatoes:
List: Scalloped - Au Graten - Saw mill - country fries - french
fries – wedges - twice baked - once baked – mashed

[That sounds like we’d have to eat them too... I need to store
these babies.]

"And if all else fails, you can send some to us and we will find
something to do with them!!" :^D

[20 or 30 lbs of potatoes would cost a bunch to send to Denver!]

I am glad that you and your family are dealing so well with son
#4's illness and recovery (I fully admit I don't know how I would
handle it if it were happening to my son). Oh and all that
halloween candy tht didn't get givcen out...We bought $27.00 worth
and had 12 to 16 trick or treaters...my black cauldron is 3/4 full
of candy still! (but my 19yr old and 16yr old sons will magically
make that disappear in a few weeks)... ~~~ HUGS ~~~
~Dora in Denver

1 Comments:

  • At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, Marty!
    This is a belated comment on the Cheetos for #4...Genna had her MRI last week, and was super sleepy afterwards (i.e. pointedly trying to avoid waking up). We had to get upstairs to oncology, and I was bored, so I started singing a quiet little song by her ear about how I love Genna, she could have some Doritos ... her mouth opened in a gigantic smile. ONe second later she popped up off the stretcher, swaying a bit but awake. "Yay, Doritos!" she said. Within 7 minutes (had to get the Halloween costume back on) we were on our way.

    Never underestimate the power of a snack food.

    Thinking of you all lots. Hope "Tumor Boy" has a good day tomorrow (he needs a cape and mask or something--this is heroic stuff).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home