c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

11/02 - 10¢ Potatoes with sour cream

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wednesday, November 02, 2005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

13/33 = 39% - 20 more sessions of radiation;

Last week my sweet wife sent me on an errand on the way home, to
pick up a few things for Sunday dinner. The grocery store had
several specials going on, and I’m a sucker for a special. I
bought 4 5-pound chubs of hamburger for $4.95 each. I figured, we
have a freezer, why not use it. (When the bird flu hits, we’ll
probably stock up on cheap chicken!) I picked up a nice roast beef
for Sunday dinner, and figured we ought to have some nice baked
potatoes with it. As I was eyeing some nice spuds, I heard them
announce that they had a special on 50 pound boxes of fresh Idaho
potatoes. Only 5 bucks a box! I bought 4 boxes! (No silly, not
really. 200 pounds would be too much...) but I did manage to
convince myself that we could do something with 50 pounds of
potatoes. (Hmm... Anyone want a few pounds of potatoes?)

So, Sunday dinner came, and I made a luscious roast beef. I also
baked a bunch of spuds. We happen to have a little sour cream in
the refrigerator, so I threw that on the table too. I got a small
potato for son #4, and mashed it up for him. He asked for a little
butter, and some sour cream. He mashed it up a little more, and
ate the toppings, with just a little potato included. Then he
asked for more sour cream. I took about a teaspoon full, and
plopped it in the middle of his potato. I turned away for a
second, and then turned back. The sour cream was gone. “What on
earth did you do with all of that sour cream?” I asked son #4. He
just grinned a white creamy grin...

Now, my 4 boys have this particular habit of not wanting one food
to touch another food. (IE: If my pudding touches my meatloaf, I
can’t eat either.) I have my suspicions where they got this habit.
I know it’s not from me, I like to slop everything together!
Anyway, the other 5 members of my family frequently go to the
cabinet to get another clean plate for some untouchable food item.
I keep telling the boys that each time they do that, that it’s
their turn to do dishes.

Such was the case at Sunday night dinner. Son #4 ran over to the
cabinet and grabbed a small plate, then ran back to the table.
“What’s that for bud?” I said. He wouldn’t say anything. I asked
him a second time. He answered with only a smile. Then my sweet
wife started laughing and laughing. “He got it for his sour cream!
He doesn’t want it to touch the potatoes!” Another motherly
insight. He indeed wanted potato-free sour cream. What can you do?
With another dollop, some boys watched and said, “ewwww...” others
laughed and encouraged him.

Radiation is supposed to make you lose your appetite and weight.
Luckily it hasn’t hit son #4 yet. He weighed 20 kilos this
morning. (44 pounds). I know it’s a combination of sour cream and
Halloween candy!

For those of you who get this as email...
Enjoy today’s Jokes!
Marty

p.s. I’ve joined a group of 4 other people to weigh in and maintain our weight through the holidays. They want me to be captain. Ha! Maybe I can give away potatoes to the other teams!

=-=-=-
Reader Comment Section:

I recently lost my hair because of Chemo. I work as a Foster Grand
Parent at a local Jr. H.S. and wear hats to cover my bald head. I
am now starting to get hair again. I am proud of the new hair and
one day in class I raised my cap to show the class the new growth
I am so proud of. One of my boys checked it out and then told
me.... "That's not hair that is mold from wearing hats all the
time." I really got a laugh out of that and so did my friends at
the cancer center.
~Wanda D.

[Ewww... moldy scalp?]

1 Comments:

  • At 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Marty:

    Just catching up on the blog. My daughter, now 6, discovered sour cream before she was three. She still loves it and would eat it for breakfast if I let her. She even dips chicken nuggets in it -- no tangy condiments for this girl! In fact, she won't eat nuggets unless there is sour cream! Oh well, it's a dairy product and their little bodies need some fat.

    Thank you for keeping us updated with Little Jimmy's progress.

    Courage and strength to you all!

    Kathleen, London ON

     

Post a Comment

<< Home