Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Saturday, December 22, 2007

12/22 - Update and Delivery mess

Saturday, , , December 22, 2007

Arrgg... Technology can sometimes be frustrating!

Thursday during the day, I scored big. Really big. I'll have to tell you about it after Tuesday, least prying little eyes read my blog!

Then, Thursday night I wanted to post on the blog what the doctors had said at the brain tumor clinic.

Here's what I wrote then;

It's as I expected. My sweet wife went to Brain Tumor clinic with son #4. She said they were the first to arrive, and the last to leave. She said the oncologist spoke with the radiologist for quite some time before he came in and spoke to my wife. He said pretty much the same thing that the radiologist told use on Tuesday; that the large white area on the tumor bed was unusual, that it could turn into something bad, but that it could also be nothing. Wonderful. Wait Watch and Worry. (WWW). We asked him when the next MRI should be. (I was on the phone listening while he spoke to my sweet wife.) He said wait 3 months, not 2, not 4. I guess that's not bad, but not good, and it's better than hearing, “we need to go into surgery right now...”

So, that's what I started to write on Thursday. After that I was feeling a little rambunctious. I had heard something on the radio that I wanted to spout about, I had lined up 3 or 4 videos to post for you guys, I had several links to political sights, and was just starting to get things uploaded to the blog site.

That night we had one of the cousins over for a sleep over, everyone was playing on the computers, playing video games, watching the big screen, whooping it up having a good time in the other room, and I also had my space heater on. We also were having one of the biggest snow storms of the year. (at least 2 feet at our house).

Then all of a sudden I heard a “POP”...

And nothing...


Power out...

In our back yard, the neighbors had lights. Lights were on across the street. Neighbors to one side and the other were also on. I checked out fuses inside, and nothing was tripped. I called the power company, and she suggested checking the main breaker. I had no idea there was a main breaker, but that's what it was. Too much power, and then something (my heater?) caused a power spike.

So, I lost my entire blog post. Oh well...

But, here's what else gripes me...

Remember I told you I scored big on Thursday? I paid for (before noon), for overnight shipping on a certain item. My little puny brain would think, hmm... pay for overnight shipping on Thursday, get your package on Friday.

Not so fast. ToysRUs used the ol, “shipping starts when your item leaves the warehouse.”

Wonderful. Strike one.

But, it does leave the warehouse on Friday at 1PM. Cool, overnight shipping, that means I'll get it Saturday.

But check this out

The package left their warehouse in Columbus Ohio at 1pm Friday, it arrived in Memphis Friday night at 11pm, it leaves Memphis for Salt Lake at 3:45am Saturday. Then it arrives in Salt Lake sort facility Saturday morning at 6:45am, and gets put on the delivery truck at 8:24am. So far so good. It rides around the truck most of the day, and at 1:10pm gets taken back to the FedEx warehouse. The reason? “Package not due for delivery”. Argg... strike two!

Apparently “standard overnight” isn't the same thing as “standard overnight with Saturday delivery.” D'oh. So there my prized package sits, in the FedEx warehouse for 2 more days because ToysRUs didn't pay for Saturday delivery.

Yes, I called. They said they'd try to credit me the shipping costs. But it has to go through their red tape bureaucracy first.

So, FedEx and ToysRUs didn't meet my expectations so far. Let's hope things go better on Monday.

Enjoy the Jokes


  • At 6:03 PM, Blogger LACY said…

    It was so great to see #4 and your wife at brain tumor clinic. I am happy that you have to go in 3 months not 2, you know if they were super worried it would be 2 or surgery like you said. #4 has grown so much and he was so cute with CJ. CJ was so drowsy, they woke him up 2 hours after the MRI not 3, I could've screamed. I can't believe how big #4 was, and I love that he had his scrubs on. So cute. Anyway, we'll pray for you guys.

  • At 4:53 PM, Blogger rob said…

    I finally got around to read this on 1/6. didn't get the email until 12/28. I hope your toys r us package made it. You could have had me pick it up for you. I live in Columbus, Ohio! LOL

  • At 9:06 AM, Blogger Margaret AKA Mom, AKA Grandma said…

    Sorry about your shipping problems I understand that FED X and UPS are planning to merge soon. New company to be named ...
    are ready for this?

    "FED UP"

    LOL from the Funny Farm


Post a Comment

<< Home