c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Monday, August 22, 2005

8/22 - The big cheese cake caper


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Monday, August 22, 2005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Things are getting back to (relative) normalcy. My sweet wife took
her turn staying at the hospital last night. I think she did her
shift better than I did the night before, because when the 3 boys
and I got to the hospital by 8, and she looked her usual radiant
self. She said son #4’s sleeping schedule was a little off, and he
wanted to play and watch TV between 2 and 4AM this morning. He was
eating cereal when we got there, and the second we walked in he
plastered a big toothy grin on his face. So big that he almost
couldn’t keep the milk in his mouth. It’s wonderful to see him eat.
Oh, man... It’s just wonderful to see him. I hadn’t realized it,
but when he was on all of the sedation meds, he started getting
‘puffy’. In the days since, he’s been going in his bottle like a
racehorse, and now he looks like he’s lost some weight. So, it’s
good to see him eat. I think he’s ordered cheesecake 3 or 4 times
now. (Which is also my sweet wife’s favorite too. Hmm... I
wonder... Naw, she wouldn’t do that. [grin])

Speaking of cheesecake; we had some neighbors bring over dinner
last night. They said there was a “little German lady” staying with
them, who wanted to make dinner for us. We had German goulash with
dumplings. They dumplings were a little different fare than my boys
are used to. Some ate them, some tried, then wouldn’t finish them.
I taught them that if they went on church missions to other
countries, that they should not offend their hosts by not eating
food that was served to them. I also taught them about the age-old
German tradition of pastry cutting. I told them that Germans
usually cut their pastries in different sizes, and to show their
elders respect, they let the oldest person choose their pastry
first. That lesson worked until I got the biggest piece of
cheesecake and started laughing at them. I’m so mean.

My sweet wife said that the nurse practitioner said that because
son #4 had so many other doctors to see (ophthalmologists, speech
therapists, helmet fitting guys, etc.) that they would probably
send him home tomorrow, not today. Whoa. Already? I guess the
surgeon wasn’t kidding when he said a couple of days. So, tomorrow
may be the big day for Jr. If I’ve got time, maybe I’ll get a big
sign and balloons saying “Welcome Home!”

I worked for half a day today, just to get my feet wet with work
(and to try save some of my vacation). It was really good to see
friends at work, and see how concerned they were. One friend said,
“We all sat around reading your message on Thursday and cried and
cried.” Oh, wonderful, I knew I wasn’t a great writer, but I didn’t
think I was all that bad. (grin). Some also wanted to know how long
I’ve been doing this. I told her more than 5 years. I said, “Here,
read to your hearts content at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/martysjotd/ “

An update on son #4. He went to physical therapist today and walked
a little, rode a tricycle, and played trucks with her. I updated
some of the pictures at http://www.artistmelody.com/pcmc.htm

Enjoy today’s Jokes!
Marty

=-=-=-
Reader Comment Section:

1 Comments:

  • At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry.. just reading your posts from around when son #4 was diagnosed and had surgery.

    That smile make me smile. What a wonderful picture.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home