Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Thursday, August 18, 2005

8/18 - Long days...

Thursday 8/18/2005 4:06:11 AM
Even though we got some great news yesterday, I think my body is getting used getting up in the middle of the night. So, it was another early morning. Last night as they brought son #4 back into his room after the surgery, the nurses, respiratory techs, attending physicians, and anesthesiologist were all standing around smiling, and happy. Nurses I hadn’t met before but just saw on the floor came up and said “congratulations”. Later I asked one doc if they weighed the tumor so I could send out an announcement saying, congratulations, Marty, his sweet wife, and son #4 are the proud recipients of a 8 oz, 4 inch long cancerous tumor.

Between the first and 2nd surgery’s yesterday, son #4’s surgeon came in and spoke with us. He told us again what they were trying to do, how they were going to do it, and how long things would take. The he said, “Oh, just a minute” He leaned over with his pen to son #4’s head and wrote his initials right next to his huge, 12 in long horseshoe shaped, bloody, 60+ stitched, incision. I assume this was to remind him what side of my son’s head he was going to operate on. I almost asked him if he was going to put an arrow pointing to it that said, “cut here”. But, he didn’t seem like the joking type.

Thursday 8/18/2005 9:22:56 PM
Last night we figured that my sister-in-law #2 had had enough of watching 6 boys for several days, so we insisted they come home with us. At their cousin’s house, there is so much to do that the boys love. They play computer and video games for hours and hours, all day long. So after we got home last night and got settled in, son #2 came up to me and said, “Dad, there isn’t anything to do here.” I suggested he start with taking a shower.

Son #4 is doing pretty well today. We took a trip to CT today, to get an x-ray. They also put in a feeding tube. (Finally, after 6 days…) They took him off of his paralytic drugs, but are keeping him pretty sedated so he doesn’t move around. As the nurse started to put some moisturizer on his lips because they were getting dry, she said, “I’m just going to put some chap-stick on you.” is eyes came over a little and he shook his head “no”. He also woke up and when I asked if his head hurt, he shook his head no, but shook his head yes when I asked if his throat hurt. (because of his breathing tube) So, he’s coming out of it… Tomorrow is an MRI, and then they’ll slowly take him off of the sedation drugs. More updates tomorrow. (And I should be able to start sending out the jokes again soon…)


  • At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't worry about getting the jokes out, just keep sending us good news. It puts just as big a smile on my face!



Post a Comment

<< Home