Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Friday, August 19, 2005

8/19 - Pfftt...

8/19/2005 10:22 AM
Things are going well this morning. They took son #4 off of the paralytic drugs last night, so he’s he can move around, but they still have him sedated. He woke up a few times this morning and moved his hands, feet, and eyes. He keeps mouthing the word ‘out’ saying that he wants the breathing tube out. The plan is to take him for an MRI today around 11, then when he’s back in his room, they’ll turn off all of the sedation drugs all at once. He’ll be on his breathing tube until they are convinced that he can do ok, then they’ll take that out. They’ll watch him for at least 12-25 hours then may transfer us to the ‘floor’. Depending on what type of cancer/tumor it is, will determine how long he’s in his new room. We still haven’t gotten the oncology report back, and it may take some more time, but we want to make sure they find out exactly what type of tumor it was for further treatment.

8/19/2005 2:32 PM
When son #4 had MRI this morning, they gave him some more relaxing type drugs so he wouldn’t move. He still wiggled his feet and still wasn’t all the way asleep. So, now that they’ve taken off all of the drugs, and we’re waiting for him to wake up so they can take the breathing tube out, he’s fast asleep. Go figure. The neuro surgeon just came up and said things look really well on the MRI. There were no pieces left in there, the brain looks like it’s shifting back in place, and the swelling looks good. My sister #2 came up to visit, and I think she and my sweet wife are both feeling a little better about life. There was an announcement overhead that said, “Attention attention everyone, there is a 75% off sale on everything in the gift shop. We will close in 45 minutes.” At first my sweet wife said, “Naw, I’ll stay here.” About 15 seconds later they both grabbed their purses and headed to the gift shop. So, here I sit, all alone, listening to classical music, trying to be quiet so as not to wake up son #4. He’ll have plenty of time for that all night.

8/19/2005 8:20 PM
We’ll we’re home again. We had some good neighbors bring over hot dinner for us when we got home, and then we went to a cub scout pack meeting where son #3 got his Bobcat award. A nice mellow night. One thing that did happened that I think my be a good sign, was when the nurse was taking out son #4’s IV’s on his feet, and then changed his hospital pants (“We don’t use the ‘d’ word when they’re already potty trained” said the nurse), she asked him to move a little this way, then that way. And he did. When he got all taped up and the blankets back on, he let out a huge ‘pffftt…’ I kind of smiled and looked at my sweet wife who was on the other side of the bed. She smiled, and we both looked at son #4. He had the biggest grin on his face, and his tummy was bouncing up and down like a bowl full of jelly. Even though he had his breathing tube in and couldn’t make any noise, he was laughing pretty hard. All of us, including the nurse laughed for a good long while. We now know that at least his little boyish humor is still in tact. Weekend updates may or may not be forthcoming. I suspect we’ll be moved to the ‘floor’ tomorrow sometime, and just recovery time after that.


Post a Comment

<< Home