c

Marty's Joke of the Day

Marty's Joke of the day is an internet column that I've written for more than 5 years.
I tell humorous stories about my "sweet wife" and raising our 4 young sons, named #1, #2, #3, and #4.
After 5 years of story telling, in August of 2005, doctors found a brain tumor in son #4.
Our focus here has changed little as we still try to find humor in our lives.

Sunday, August 21, 2005

8/21 - Craniotomy vs Craniectomy and the Bone Flap

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunday, August 21, 2005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[ed. note. Ever wonder what the difference is between a Craniotomy
and a Craniectomy is? I knew because of my medical terminology class,
but now you can too. Marty]

Just a quick Sunday update. As I left for the hospital yesterday morning
to see son #4, I didn’t think that I’d be staying overnight. But,
when it came to leave last night, son #4 ‘asked’ that I stay with
him. Those hospital chair beds are not the most uncomfortable
things to sleep on, but they’re darn close. At noon today, I was
never so glad to see my sweet wife and 3 other boys walk in so that
she could take “the 2nd shift.” It’s good to be back at home, (but
I’ve still got to take that shower!)

Yesterday when I said son #4 couldn’t sit up, he couldn’t by
himself. But, when sons #1, #2, and #3 walked in the door today, he
sat right up with a big grin on his face. (But only for a minute
before he plopped back down.) He’s also been playing catch with the
3 boys and me. We’ll stand around his bed and he’ll throw a small
stuffed basketball that he got from a friend, back and forth to us.
Since he had cheese and crackers (and a slice of cheesecake) last
night, and this morning he had 4 (half) slices of French toast,
they decided he didn’t need his feeding tube any longer. He’s only
got his PICC line in, and 4 electrodes taped to him. He’ll probably
keep the PICC line when he goes home. I spoke with the surgeons
this morning, and told them I was concerned about his lethargy and
weakness. They said not to worry about it, that it was normal. They
said from their standpoint he was doing excellent. I also asked
about the bone flap and a helmet. The head seems almost a normal
shape, but they said that’s because there is still brain swelling.
They need that part of the head to be sort of a sunken in shape
before they’ll put the bone flap back on. They said that could be
up to a month. (So he’ll get a helmet until then). They also said
that in the best case scenario he might be able to leave the
hospital in a couple of days. Cool!

Enjoy today’s Jokes!
Marty

=-=-=-
Reader Comment Section:

[216 comments and counting. Wow... thanks. Here’s a couple]

my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Just wanted to let you know that I have put your family & your dear
boy on my church's prayer list -- and also sent it on to my family
& friends. We are all praying and lifting up Jimmy to The Master
Physician.

Prayers are going up for your little Man.

Prayers and best wishes for your son and all of your family have
been sent out from us in Missouri.

You have the prayers of the S(----) family in Seymour, TN, and we
will be passing your precious little boy's needs on to our Sunday
School class in the morning.

I am praying for Jimmy! Lord bless your family. Texas

I’m the pastor of Westgate Baptist in T(----). Your son will be
listed as a prayer request in the bulletin tomorrow. I also fast
each week one day early in the week, and will be praying at that
time as well.

My prayers are with you, your sweet wife, and your other 3 boys at
this traumatic time for your family. Keep your faith strong and
know that everything is in God's loving hands... New Mexico

I am secretary in our primary at church. I told the kids about your
son. All the children agreed to pray daily for your boy. I will
update them on this new news.

God be with Jimmy! Japan

God Bless son #4 and his family too! I am praying for a healthy and
speedy recovery for him! Inshallah (God Willing), he will be just
fine!! Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Hang tough, Marty. Kids are tougher than we are. Pittsburgh, PA

Our prayers are with you. New Jersey

By the grace of our loving God, I pray that the surgeon, his staff,
and all associated with the surgery, be guided by the Holy Spirit
of God... [conts. with an excellent prayer] ...I will continue to
lift all of you in prayer. I am looking forward to a GOOD report!
In Jesus name, Rev. C(---) W(---) Sun City, AZ

[Amen!]

Thank you for keeping us updated on your son's progress. No matter
what happens I know with your faith that the Lord will support and
sustain you... ...Thanks again for keeping your readers "in the
loop", it is very thoughtful of you. In Virginia

As a three time winner with cancer, maybe my prayers will help. My
wife and seven kids join me.

Our prayers are with you... Teaneck, NJ

[The list goes on and on and on. You guys are just awesome!]
[Marty]
[Now, I want to tell each and every one of you, that I have a much
stronger testimony of fasting and prayer now. I had prayed my heart
and soul to Him, and then asked everyone I knew to do the same. Son
#4’s name was on church prayer rolls around the country. His name
was on the altars of several of our temples. On the day of the
surgery, we had my family, church ward members, all of you, plus
many others fasting and praying with us. I couldn’t think of
anything else we could have done. That day I really REALLY felt
your prayers. It was just indescribable. I KNOW the Lord heard our
prayers. I KNOW He listens to each of our prayers. I KNOW this was
his will, and I am so grateful to Him that the surgery turned out
well. I know our family has a long road ahead of us, but I also
know that whatever happens, we’ll be able to handle it. I love you,
my readers. And I thank you every so much for your help. In the
name of Jesus Christ. Amen.]

[Thanks for listening. Now, on to the jokes...]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home